Nav Map Update

Finally got an invitation to update my Nav map. Well it came today on a USB stick with several annoyances. First it tells you to start the engine and insert the USB into any USB port. It says the update will take 50 minutes. And it says the engine must be running the entire time!!?? As a consolation the screen tells me that it is ok to drive around while the update is in process. The screen is blank during the update but fortunately the radio plays. The actual update took about 80 min. I finally got a update successful message followed by a file missing message - annoyance #2. Then I check the functions to see what works and what doesnt work. Everything looks good except now voice recognition doesnt work - annoyance #3. Annoyance #4 is that I paid more than $150 (including shipping charges) for this beautiful piece of work.

2015 2500HD 6.0L

I updated the map in my 2015 Monday. Took exactly 50 minutes...no error or missing file messages. Everything still seems to be working okay. I took the $139 "special" with free shipping + tax came to $151.19. It's sort of expensive but I try to update the maps in all of my vehicles every 2 or 3 years. I don't so much mind paying for the map updates as I resent the fact that the new maps are already 1 year or more old by the time they publish them.

. $140 to update the maps is a bit of a ripoff.

Well...yes it is. But I'm old and I like the big screen and I don't want to have to mount...or lay....a small screen piece of crap somewhere and still not be able to see it. Just a personal preference. I figure if I can't afford to update the map every once in a while I shouldn't have bought a truck with a big screen GPS unit.

• Like 2

Well...yes it is. But I'm old and I like the big screen and I don't want to have to mount...or lay....a small screen piece of crap somewhere and still not be able to see it. Just a personal preference. I figure if I can't afford to update the map every once in a while I shouldn't have bought a truck with a big screen GPS unit.

No offense intended. I just find that the Android Auto works well and doesn't need to be updated. I still use the big screen with the Android Auto nav. It is a great option if you have an Android.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, 4x4Pete said:

No offense intended. I just find that the Android Auto works well and doesn't need to be updated. I still use the big screen with the Android Auto nav. It is a great option if you have an Android.

Got a 2015....don't think I have Android Auto. Never really looked for it but I don't think I have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated my old 2014 Tahoe's Nav System and maps late in 2015.  What joke.  The maps were still out of date by more than a year.  In my new 2017, I use Google maps while the phone is attached via Android Auto with car mode enabled.  The maps and route navigation come up on center display and replace the on board map and navigation screen.  At least Google maps updates on a regular basis.  :thumbs:

In my new 2017, I use Google maps while the phone is attached via Android Auto with car mode enabled.  The maps and route navigation come up on center display and replace the on board map and navigation screen.  At least Google maps updates on a regular basis.  :thumbs:

So this answers it for me then. A truck with nav CAN enable AA or ACP through the device and utilize the device maps and navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nowicksl said:

So this answers it for me then. A truck with nav CAN enable AA or ACP through the device and utilize the device maps and navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More or less any truck with the 8" screen in 2016 onward (some 16s were without) have android auto or Apple car play regardless of factory nav.. in fact given the choice I would just get like my 17 has.. no navigation... but of course thanks to the apps I have android auto running Google map on my trucks screen with turn by turn anytime.  

I even added the IO6 to my 2014 Impalas screen so I now have ACP or AA on it now too... unfortunately I had to add nav too but oh well lol.