Bad oil filter?

I bought a 2010 crew cab 4x4 with 92k on it from a dealership Aug 19. It's not an everyday driver. I only use it for hunting, fishing, and towing. I've put 600 miles on it in almost 2 months. Anyway Monday I am pulling my 77x12 trailer to pick up my lawnmower 30 miles from home. Get a low oil pressure stop immediately. Happens to be a Chevy dealer close by so I wheel in there. I checked the oil and it looks dirty. They have a tech available immediately. They find the filter either plugged or bad. They think it is a bad filter. New filter on and pressure shoots back to normal but the oil is extremely dirty. Records show it was changed before I bought it, but this dealership I am at doesn't think so. I still had 20 psi oil pressure so no damage issues. I haven't owned a Chevy since the pissed me off in 2009. Is there stuff I should be worried about with dirty oil in 600 miles or could it have been a bad filter and they just didn't change it? It's got me kinda nervous.

I suppose a bad filter is possible, technically anything is possible. However, in my 48 years, I haven't heard of one before. I would be much more inclined to believe that the filter had lots of miles on it and was simply loaded.

I would do a few short 3000 mile changes on the oil to clean out the engine.

I highly doubt that the filter was defective. Even if the selling dealer did NOT change the oil and filter it means the previous owner did not change the oil on any regular basis. If the dealer DID change the oil and filter, then the previous owner totally neglected oil changes. When the oil and filter was changed, all the crud would begin to break down and not only fill the filter, but could stop up the oil pick-up screen.

I would monitor the oil very closely. If it turns black in 50 to 100 miles, the engine is dirty inside.

There are ways to "clean " the engine. Once you figure out if the engine needs flushing, report back.

As for as what to worry about, my #1 concern would be the AFM lifters if the truck has the 5.3

The truck was serviced at their dealership since new assuming I can believe the service record. The dealer I ended up at the other day said a couple years ago they got a bad batch of filters and 3 vehicles a month would come back with the same issue. However I have never heard of a bad filter. Even if I have to swap in a whole new engine, it's still better than truck a truck note.

It going to get a tune as well. AFM is getting turned off as well as some other things changed. The guy doing it told me what to watch out for lifter wise. Just hoping that I can get 100k more out of this truck at least.

Does it have any codes? Under the oil pressure sensor there is a little filter. A lot of times that is the problem. I have changed more that I can count. I also just replace the oil pressure sensor as well when I have it out. It is an easy fix. The manuals say you have to take the intake manifold off to get the oil pressure sensor out. You don;t have to at all. You can sneak it out from behind the manifold with a oil pressure socket and a swivel with a short extension and get the filter out with a pick tool. I will see if I can find you a video for removing it too.

Oil Pressure sensor filter - http://amzn.to/2xvEsA1

Oil Pressure sensor - http://amzn.to/2xuihiI

• 2 weeks later...

Archived