The dreaded reduced engine throttle body codes

SJ75

It has been a year and a half working on this issue. Getting the P1516, 0300, 0500 , 0600 codes. replaced the throttle body more than once, checked the wire harness to the injectors and ground and replaced the throttle body harness. Replaced the accelerator pedal assembly. MAP was replac ed too. This is on the 2500HD from 2003. Early version. bought it in Oct 2002. Stealer ship does not want to dig into it, just replace the throttle. Time to go back to the beginning. Maybe I keep missing a clue

Summer of 2015, the water pump was replaced. January of 2016, a very cold morning about 6 degrees. started fine, and idled fine. Left it to warm up. under power it felt very stiff and pushed. I didn't force it over 20 so it could warm up. Shifted ok. 2.5 miles I had to get on to the highway. It wasn't pushing as bad. On the ramp when it hit 45, reduced engine came on and had an extremely rough idle. got it stopped and it just quit. would not restart. The same guy that did the water pump did the throttle body replacement. As soon as I got it back, the rough idle was going on. fine under power, just at idle. When started cold, it would not rough idle until it got a little warm. Still does that.

A month later the, fuel pump quit, and while there. the fuel filter was changed and so where the plugs and plug wires by the same guy that did the water pump. didn't change the idle. It ran with no problem until dec 2016. when it went into reduced engine power and kicked out the codes listed above. since then it has done it a few more times, all the same code. When it does go into reduced engine is usually within 5 miles of the driveway, above 45 and on colder mornings. what has changed iss the engine temp has gone up. The needle was at about 10 to 11 oclock on the dial to high noon now. not sure if that is a symptom or related to the cause.

The dealer doesn't want to do anything but change the throttle, and a different shop wnet over the known culprits and found nothing wrong. Somebody said to check the ignition switch to make sure the proper current was going through it. The first guy that worked on the water pump might have done something. I have since found he is not the best at it, more for demolition. Since this has been present since the throttle was changed out the first time.

I have lately been wondering if that 0500 code might be the culprit not a symptom. Other than that, I am stumped. can anybody add questions or more clues, or possible solutions please. Thank you.

Not sure if this is related, but it does not like staying in overdrive, it shifts smooth. No power issues. Just doesn't stay there.

Archived