Most likely emission crap.

Had a LML and never again will I own a newer diesel.

I had no choice and deleted

But I couldn't stand the smell in the winter so I traded it in on a 6.0 and I haven't looked back.

But I do miss the sound and the torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Waaazooo,

you probably already know this, but there is now a (Nov 1 announced) programming recall for the L5P.  Deals with an emission sensor issue and also TCM changes.  Hopefully this will stop all the mystery cel issues that some are having with the L5P.

Waaazooo,
you probably already know this, but there is now a (Nov 1 announced) programming recall for the L5P.  Deals with an emission sensor issue and also TCM changes.  Hopefully this will stop all the mystery cel issues that some are having with the L5P.

Funny thing. I took it in to have the alignment done and they mentioned they did a recall that was due on the truck. I wonder if that was it.

It likely was primarily the emissions sensor programming thing.  Seems like they all need it unless built just before the Nov 1 2017 announcement. 

Some have reported the TCM changes have improved drivability.

Mine was built late enough it didn't need the updates, so I don't have an opinion on any  drivability impact.

1 hour ago, Waaazooo said:

How do you find out the born on date for your truck?

Easiest is likely to get dealer or gm chat to run VIN and check for you. 

You can check recall status yourself with the myGMC (or chev version) onstar app. (it's no the vehicle status page)

(and likely through the 'Owner Centre' on the GMdivision websites)

EDIT to add: If you get the Onstar maintenance diagnostic reports there is a link there to check recall status as well.  

Copy the VIN from the report, then click the link, then paste in the VIN...

production date is in the door jamb as well

Recall for programming does come up on MY GMC app as well

My L5P was built early Oct, Had 1900mi on it this week when check eng. light came on.

Recall was done wednesday, driveability is improved and shifts are improved.

Looking forward to many enjoyable miles from this truck

The myriads of sensors on a modern diesel engine is staggering.  It has been well stated.... the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:28 PM, grizzlyltz said:

Most likely emission crap.

Had a LML and never again will I own a newer diesel.

I had no choice and deleted

But I couldn't stand the smell in the winter so I traded it in on a 6.0 and I haven't looked back.

But I do miss the sound and the torque

I drive diesel trucks at work all day, nasty ass regens, smoke, fumes, shitty mileage.

Hop in my gas truck, no noise, no smell, no issues.

Love the L5P but at some point the manufacturers have to figure out a solution, the EPA has them jumping through hoops and they don't even have time to figure it out.

Archived