Just Bought New Truck and Miserable- I think I have the chevy shake

hopefully it is just a tire problem. But i think i have read several posts where people were upset after the dealer re-balanced, road force balances, replaced tires, etc. all to no avail.

Didn't somebody find a driveshaft that was slightly bent? If that was true, that would definitely cause vibrations at high speed. 

Either way, I feel no vibrations in my truck, but it almost never sees 75 mph either. If i experienced what some people claim to, and couldn't get the dealer to fix it- I would be buying a gopro or something to measure/record whats happening while I drive to try to pinpoint the source.

I can't believe its just tires doing this, or there would have been a recall. I think there's another defect somewhere...

good luck. As other have said, work with your dealer. hopefully they will take care of you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our 2016 Suburban had the same issue.  Dealer took it in and found two bad tires.  Ordered new ones and installed and it has been smooth ever since. 

Seems to me that GM got a bad batch of tires to put on their trucks.

Haven't seen the OP reply in a while but it seems like the dealerships are working with customers to resolve the issue and they start from the simple things and progress from there.

This is why there are warranties on vehicles. Reading about the problems on this forum just makes everyone more paranoid. Every vehicle is different, it's the human error in the manufacturing process. Hope your solution is the easy one but don't go feeling for problems that aren't there because of something you read.

Same here 2017 denali crew cab 6.2. 60k truck shakes like a bastard from 70-85mph. Started at 6k mi. At the end of this month I'm gonna go to the dealer and start the troubleshooting process. I'm hoping it's the tires because it happened right after I had them rotated. I had them balanced right after the rotation and it still does it and have also rotated them again and it still does it. Sucks spending this kind of money on a truck and having a problem that could possibly never be able to be fixed. And also what good is a warranty if they can't fix it. According to GM a shaking truck is "within spec."

Fingers crossed for OP and myself and everybody else who's dealing with this issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Ok, first let me say that I have had nothing but trouble out of my last three 2014 Silverado’s. Haven’t driven anything but  Chevy trucks for over 20 years. But last week I changed over to a different brand.

Now don’t get overly concerned about the vibration or “shakes” everyone talks about.

A very large part of guys complaints are due to shitty oem tires and even wheels sometimes.

Dont judge your vibe problem by how much your water bottle shakes in the console!!! Just put a bottle of water in your console and “barely “ tap on the console and guess what??? 

First thing... tire psi makes all the difference in the world.

Wheel size makes a big difference!

These fully boxed truck frames are stiff. It is a TRUCK. Not a Prius. It should ride like a truck. Just like me, you probably paid 50 grand for your truck. Guess what. It’s gonna ride like a 25 grand truck. Paying for “fluff” doesn’t make it ride like a Lexus.

Good news is, your stiff, vibrating TRUCK will “truck”(verb) about anything you could throw at it. 

Just get some good tires and a good balance job and for God’s sake don’t throw mud tires on it ‘cause they look cool.

Get the tire and shock pkg YOU need and not what is “cool” at the time and you won’t regret it.

Me , I am watching and waiting on the the next gen trucks and hoping that they are not “fugly” as hell. 

I absolutely loved the look of my ‘14 Z71 and miss it a lot but I had a lot of issues after I tuned and modded it so I punted it off. But hope to be in another Silvy in a year or two.

BTW way, I traded my truck for a.....don’t hate me...Dodge Durango R/T Brass Monkey AWD with the Hemi 5.7 V8.  

Man what a toy!!! Lots of fun and comfort and utility.

But it ain’t a Chevy truck. Right?

Good luck and for Gods sake stop reading the “shake and vibe “ threads.

It will convince you that you have an issue when it’s really just the nature of owning a machine that is built tough, stiff, and powerful enough to well... be a TRUCK.

Scott

On 10/16/2017 at 5:50 PM, 15 Z71 said:

Is the shake people are having mostly with Goodyear tires? My truck came with the Bridgestone A/T tires and I have 0 vibrations.

I never had this chevy shake, had milkshakes before haha.. but i been the owner of this chevy since mile 76. Been pretty lucky with her with 20k on th clock

I had the stock good year sr-a a junk of a tire no issues (except they are junk) But a nail hit the side wall where the seam is, got tired of putting air in it, and made a lemonade out of that one tire. And got 4 new nittos ridge grapper load E and a whole size bigger. I get vibrations on certain roads due the road, etc but no chevy shake

On 10/16/2017 at 11:27 PM, scott19677 said:

Dont judge your vibe problem by how much your water bottle shakes in the console!!! Just put a bottle of water in your console and “barely “ tap on the console and guess what??? 

Scott

Amen brother

Is the shake people are having mostly with Goodyear tires? My truck came with the Bridgestone A/T tires and I have 0 vibrations.
I got Bridgestone A/T's 22's and the shake at 70 plus mph

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,

here is the bulletin I received from a guy dealing with the “Chevy Shake” issue. 

I highly doubt they’d issue a bulletin if this if was a “small” issue. 

Typically the dealership should perform these checks thoroughly however I’ve learned of several instances where they close the case and blame an after market tire or wheel. 

Please read all the way through. 

https://gm.oemdtc.com/753/vibration-analysis-and-diagnostic-2014-2015-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra

all ill tell you is to stand your ground. Mine 2017 shook from day 1. Brand new I had the dealership put a set of bfg k02 at's on it. At first they blamed them on being 10ply tires. I didn't except that excuse. They balanced them conventionaly twice still shaking then they tried road force balancing them two more times. Still shook. Dropped it off at the dealership and took a loner and said I wouldn't pick my truck up till it was right. So they said they would pull of the bfg;s and put on a set of take offs from another z71. called me again and said it was fixed and my wife went and picked it up and even she could still feel vibrations. told her to leave it there and take the loner home. they called me about a week later and said they think they've got it fixed. What they did was pull a full set of wheels and tires off another new truck on the lot. I have to say its smooth now (at least up to 80mph, I haven't drove it faster) I had contacted gm directly and complained about this hastle I was put through. For my troubles they buffed out and detailed my truck, filled the gas tank, changed the oil and gave me a 4 year 60k warrantee instead of the 3/36. Still think I'm going to look at a ram next time. Just the fact that Gm wont step up and admit theres a problem (worse then mine with many) with these trucks.

Archived