Just Bought New Truck and Miserable- I think I have the chevy shake

My 16' Z71 midnight edition had this same issue.  Brought it back and they replaced 3 of the 4 tires and road force balanced them.  Slight improvement, said everything was good to go and there was nothing more they could do.  I just traded the vehicle in for a 17' Ram 1500, night and day difference in ride quality.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/24/2017 at 8:20 PM, Jzales said:

My 16' Z71 midnight edition had this same issue.  Brought it back and they replaced 3 of the 4 tires and road force balanced them.  Slight improvement, said everything was good to go and there was nothing more they could do.  I just traded the vehicle in for a 17' Ram 1500, night and day difference in ride quality.

What was the equivalent of Z71  I looked at the dodges but the power wagon seemed like the model I would have gotten, but I Wished I did a test drive  settled on Silverado LTZ 1500,  the fords were nice and high stock on  the limited f150 the interior was nice and the door setup with power switch layout  where you could see them on top of the door  ,  but the LTZ rode nicer glad I chose the Chevy

My 2017 z71 midnight has zero shake. The 2017 Ram Laramie that I test drove on the other hand, shook like a bastard on the test ride. They claimed it was nothing major and not to worry about it. I said fix it, then I’ll come back and test it again. They then said they wouldn’t send it to service for repair unless I put a deposit on it. I told them to pound sand. Then they had the balls to pester me for another 2 weeks while I shopped around. Once I told them I bought a Chevy, the calls stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 2017 Sierra elevation. No issues yet. Seems pretty dam smooth. But found out about the Chevy shake after getting the truck. Then stumbled into this video.  Would explain why some have a little less shaking after drive shaft replacement or tire balance ect, but never have it fully going away or reoccurring.  Plus having axles that far out would cause a lot of other excessive ware. 

I bought my 2016 Sierra new last Oct 2016. From day one I’ve had the issue. It got to a point where it’s tolerable but def noticeable. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I get my tires rotated and my water cup shakes like there’s a 9.0 earthquake. 

Im sitting at the dealership right now and they try telling me they’re sorry but that’s not covered under warranty. The hell it isn’t! I’ve had this issue from day one. Where is a manager?

between this shaking and the LOUD ticking I experience every morning, this truck by and far is the biggest POS I’ve ever owned. 

10 hours ago, Chazm said:

I bought my 2016 Sierra new last Oct 2016. From day one I’ve had the issue. It got to a point where it’s tolerable but def noticeable. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I get my tires rotated and my water cup shakes like there’s a 9.0 earthquake. 

Im sitting at the dealership right now and they try telling me they’re sorry but that’s not covered under warranty. The hell it isn’t! I’ve had this issue from day one. Where is a manager?

between this shaking and the LOUD ticking I experience every morning, this truck by and far is the biggest POS I’ve ever owned. 

Gm's lack of giving a **** is kinda disconcerting. (Posted above) after finding that video I'm really starting to think it's the axles causing the issue. I've heard of them force balancing tires and replacing drive shafts but have yet to find someone who says that fully fixed it. I'd suggest taking it to a non gm shop to see if the axles and drive shaft are true. If they're not take video of the tests then go back gm and ask them what the proper tolerances are for them being out of round ect. Basically plan out a series of questions that will catch them in the lie. Video everything. If they still refuse to fix, post it all and randomly show up to the dealer and chase away their potential customers by showing the videos. Remember it's not slander if you're right and have video evidence to prove it. 

1 hour ago, Trucklifee said:

Gm's lack of giving a **** is kinda disconcerting. (Posted above) after finding that video I'm really starting to think it's the axles causing the issue. I've heard of them force balancing tires and replacing drive shafts but have yet to find someone who says that fully fixed it. I'd suggest taking it to a non gm shop to see if the axles and drive shaft are true. If they're not take video of the tests then go back gm and ask them what the proper tolerances are for them being out of round ect. Basically plan out a series of questions that will catch them in the lie. Video everything. If they still refuse to fix, post it all and randomly show up to the dealer and chase away their potential customers by showing the videos. Remember it's not slander if you're right and have video evidence to prove it. 

That video does not show anything - a dial indicator on the flange - needs to be on the axle shaft itself.....

22 hours ago, Trucklifee said:

I just bought a 2017 Sierra elevation. No issues yet. Seems pretty dam smooth. But found out about the Chevy shake after getting the truck. Then stumbled into this video.  Would explain why some have a little less shaking after drive shaft replacement or tire balance ect, but never have it fully going away or reoccurring.  Plus having axles that far out would cause a lot of other excessive ware. 

That would cause vibration. How much I guess you'd have to compare different amount of runout by vehicle. Sometimes one vibrating element can offset another. But what the video is demonstrating is not good at all.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:47 AM, Chazm said:

Holy crap! They fixed my truck.  It took a year but they finally did it. They did the same thing they always did with the road force balance but this time he said he went through all the TSB‘s and he saw something about exhaust clamp or something I don’t remember. But he said my clamp was loose towards the front.  And now my truck is smooth as butter at 80 mph. If feels like a whole new truckAnd now my truck is smooth as butter at 80 mph. If feels like a whole new truck

On 11/21/2017 at 8:50 PM, Krusty said:

That video does not show anything - a dial indicator on the flange - needs to be on the axle shaft itself.....

The wheel bolts against that wobbly flange.  I agree, it can still be the shafts too.

1 hour ago, Chazm said:

Holy crap! They fixed my truck.  It took a year but they finally did it. They did the same thing they always did with the road force balance but this time he said he went through all the TSB‘s and he saw something about exhaust clamp or something I don’t remember. But he said my clamp was loose towards the front.  And now my truck is smooth as butter at 80 mph. If feels like a whole new truckAnd now my truck is smooth as butter at 80 mph. If feels like a whole new truck

so was the ticking from the loose clamp and the overall vibration from the entire exhaust rattling around? like after a year someone found the 10mm socket under the couch in the waiting room and used it to tighten a single bolt on an exhaust clamp to solve all that? wow.

38 minutes ago, isiddall said:

so was the ticking from the loose clamp and the overall vibration from the entire exhaust rattling around? like after a year someone found the 10mm socket under the couch in the waiting room and used it to tighten a single bolt on an exhaust clamp to solve all that? wow.

No the ticking is only with a cold engine.  They have no clue what that is as they can’t hear it because the engine has to be cold. 

8 minutes ago, Chazm said:

No the ticking is only with a cold engine.  They have no clue what that is as they can’t hear it because the engine has to be cold. 

So..they didn't ask you to leave it overrnight so that they can start it cold?

Sounds like your dealership is as sharp as a butter knife.

Archived