2002 1500 Z71 differential options?

Hello all! I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71. A few days ago the differential started acting up. Its is a Gov-loc G80 with a 3.73 ratio. I decided before taking it to a shop and having them tell me I was in for several hundred dollar repair I would try changing the fluid first to see if that would fix my problem. I took the cover off the diff and took a look at the gears. The first thing I see is the magnet is completely covered with small shavings and I can see chips out of the spider gears. What I thought was the differential sticking in the locked position was the spider gears binding against each other then releasing with a bang. Looks like I'm in for a several hundred dollar repair (or more) after all.

So now I know I'm going to have to replace the diff. I need to know what my options are. My truck is my daily driver. I also take it up north on the weekends exploring back lakes along ATV trails that can get fairly rough. Obviously traction will vary from gravel, mud, chunk rock etc... Currently in just on stock size tires but plan on getting a set of 33 inch all terrains for a little extra clearance. 

I don't think I want another factory G80. I like the look of the Eaton Trutrac diffs and may likely go that route. Are there any other better options for what I am using the truck for? Thanks!

Was the "releasing with a bang" on downshifts from 3-2 and 2-1?  Almost every time my truck down shifts I can hear and feel the rear end clunking.   It's worse under hard breaking scenarios. 

My g80 is toast as well on my 2000.  I am looking at a Detroit Truetrac.  It should be much better than the essentially open diff I have now, but not a full locker.  Since you use yours offroad, you might want to consider a full Detroit locker.  The on road manners can be bad and too much for many, but nothing works better offroad.  You will want to replace the ring and pinion as well as all bearings and seals while your at it.

I've had 4 vehicles with G80 lockers.  Logged well over 400,000 miles on them, and counting, never had a problem with any of them.

If you abuse it, it will break.  If you don't feel the need to do things like burnouts and peelouts,  or drifting offroad, it will serve you well.  If you can't control your inner child, well, then you should probably upgrade.

Don't do this, and you'll be fine.

I bought mine used and I really don't know if I broke it, or if I bought it that way.  Regardless, it's broken now and needs to be replaced.  The full rebuild I want to is going to run about $1000 in parts.  I'm glad I'll be doing the work or it would likely be more like $2000 at a shop.

I bought mine just a few months ago as well. I would notice during tight turns (parking lots, u-turns...) That it would lock resulting in a one wheel peel. It wasn't consistent and would only happen every now and then, but I noticed it within just a few days after I bought it. When I'm on pavement I can control my inner child pretty well! Lol but off road my restraint is off the table! I have to assume it was damaged or abused before I bought it. 

I got my TruTrac from Summit, about $400 as they had a rebate. I didn't have a place to do it, so I found a good shop. I had all bearings, all seals, rear brake shoes, and pistons replaced. I wanted it to be done with for a while. The whole project was less than $1500 including labor.

The TruTrac is great because it doesn't require a major loss of traction to work. The G80 would often break a tire loose, and then would lock and bang the other loose too. The TruTrac is much smoother, so there are many situations where the G80 would slip a tire that it stays completely planted.

My reason for rebuild was actually the ring side carrier bearing wearing out. So decided to upgrade, and still glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dannyjs25 said:

I got my TruTrac from Summit, about $400 as they had a rebate. I didn't have a place to do it, so I found a good shop. I had all bearings, all seals, rear brake shoes, and pistons replaced. I wanted it to be done with for a while. The whole project was less than $1500 including labor.

The TruTrac is great because it doesn't require a major loss of traction to work. The G80 would often break a tire loose, and then would lock and bang the other loose too. The TruTrac is much smoother, so there are many situations where the G80 would slip a tire that it stays completely planted.

My reason for rebuild was actually the ring side carrier bearing wearing out. So decided to upgrade, and still glad I did.

Did you replace ring and pinion gears in that $1500? If so, that's a smoke'n deal.  I will be replacing everything.  All new bearings and seals, even at the outer ends of the axles.  New gears, new diff and full install kit.  It all prices out at just under $1000 at Summit.  I also need new backing plates for parking brake, I have rear disc.  The backing plates are the only things on the whole truck that have rusted through.

Did you replace ring and pinion gears in that $1500? If so, that's a smoke'n deal.  I will be replacing everything.  All new bearings and seals, even at the outer ends of the axles.  New gears, new diff and full install kit.  It all prices out at just under $1000 at Summit.  I also need new backing plates for parking brake, I have rear disc.  The backing plates are the only things on the whole truck that have rusted through.
I kept the factory gears, they appeared to be in very good shape still.

Archived