best AT tires for winter?

CbrownGT

Tires listed by category, in order of preference within category, for winter/snow usage:

Off-Road Oriented All-Terrain:

Goodyear Wranger DuraTrac

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

Hybrid Tread/On-Off Road All-Terrain:

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

Cooper Discoverer A/TW

Nitto Exo Grappler AWT

Highway Oriented 'All-Terrain':

Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

General Grabber AT2

Kumho Road Venture AT51

Michelin LTX A/T2

Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

Nokian Rotiva AT

Nexen Rodian AT Pro

Laufenn X Fit AT

Dick Cepek Trail Country

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

General Grabber AP

Winter only Light Truck tires (not 'All Terrain' oriented, but best winter traction):

Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2

Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 SUV

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only A/T tires that I have run in snow are Nitto Terra Grapplers and BFG’s. The BFG tires outperformed the Nittos hands down. I’m sure there are cheaper tires that work well. Thats just my experience. 

I have the ATWs on my 2006. They are an amazing tire. They will be louder and not last as long as the AT3. Worth it, IMO.

I watched a summer review of them, and the reviewer claimed they were the best wet traction AT tire he'd driven, that pushed me over to buying them. I don't think he was wrong, with all the siping and the softer rubber, the grip is great in wet conditions.

A friend has BFGs on a similar weight truck and I had the ATWs on mine. The ATWs definitely stopped better on the same snowy roads. I will see this winter if they still perform better than the BFGs. We will have about the same mileage on the tires.

They are a very sure footed tire on snow and wet roads. But for a dedicated winter tire, I'd look more at dedicated winter tires.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Check out Nokian Rotiiva AT's. They are an all year AT tire that are great in the snow. Handle well, great in rain. Long lasting. Light. Not that expensive. I got them in 275/55/20. for my 2014 Sierra. Not sure if they have them in 18's. I live in upstate NY. Heavy snow some years. These things performed well.

I have the ATWs on my 2006. They are an amazing tire. They will be louder and not last as long as the AT3. Worth it, IMO.

I watched a summer review of them, and the reviewer claimed they were the best wet traction AT tire he'd driven, that pushed me over to buying them. I don't think he was wrong, with all the siping and the softer rubber, the grip is great in wet conditions.

A friend has BFGs on a similar weight truck and I had the ATWs on mine. The ATWs definitely stopped better on the same snowy roads. I will see this winter if they still perform better than the BFGs. We will have about the same mileage on the tires.

They are a very sure footed tire on snow and wet roads. But for a dedicated winter tire, I'd look more at dedicated winter tires.

How many miles do you think you'll see out of a set? I'm leaning towards a set of these, then just replacing them yearly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'm running the Cooper AT3's too...going on my 3rd winter. Very impressed with them over all. I run my summer tires/wheels until about now and then switch them out for the winter, they have never seen salt. Last year I had my winter wheels on with the AT3's and need to go off road for some firewood. It was a mix of gravel, roots and mud. The AT3's pulled me through surprising well....oh and they are a lot quieter on the highway than my Cooper Zeon LTZ's I run on my summer rims.

How many miles do you think you'll see out of a set? I'm leaning towards a set of these, then just replacing them yearly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have about 14,000 miles on them, they look like they will surpass the advertised 45,000 miles.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going Saturday to buy a set of Cooper AT3 "blems". They just have mis-aligned or missing letters on the sidewalls. I will obviously check them thoroughly first. He's a reputable seller. $640 cash for the set and factory mail-in $70 rebate. Can't complain getting a set for $570 in the end, versus $710ish online after rebate. 

Anyone heard of these tires1a3a04c147c7e56379fedbac042b7752.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I asked a guy, at the tire/rim booth, about some amp tires at the car show a few years ago. I asked him about the expected treadlife and he kinda scoffed at the idea of me worrying about how many miles the tires might get. He said there is no treadlife warranty and if he had to guess he thought maybe 25,000 miles.

I do NOT have any experience with these tires and I don’t know anyone who has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t done any winter driving but I have put over 20k on my falken wildpeaks and they are still looking beefy

20,000 Miles or km

I asked a guy, at the tire/rim booth, about some amp tires at the car show a few years ago. I asked him about the expected treadlife and he kinda scoffed at the idea of me worrying about how many miles the tires might get. He said there is no treadlife warranty and if he had to guess he thought maybe 25,000 miles.

I do NOT have any experience with these tires and I don’t know anyone who has them.

OK thank you.

Archived