best AT tires for winter?

CbrownGT

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this is a generic section, obviously tire wear will be affected by vehicle weight.

I had a set of Cooper ATP, which are the same as the AT3, and got about 25k miles out of them under my 2500 which weighs a tad more than a 1500. They had some tread left, but were worn through the siping and into the harder tread compound which made them slippery on wet roads and completely useless on winter roads.

I think the p-series Coopers have a 50k mile warranty though?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ATP's are rated to 55k, I believe. My E rated ones were anyway. They still had sipes nearing 60k.

Vehicle weight and use affects a lot. I was happy to go to the ATW's for a life of 45k and more snow/wet traction. Having a pattern similar to the AT3's I knew they would handle dirt well too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ATP's are rated to 55k, I believe. My E rated ones were anyway. They still had sipes nearing 60k.

Vehicle weight and use affects a lot. I was happy to go to the ATW's for a life of 45k and more snow/wet traction. Having a pattern similar to the AT3's I knew they would handle dirt well too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

When winter actually gets here, I'll order a set of the ATW. Even if I replace them yearly, still cheaper than a deductible claim and/or headaches from an accident.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just pulled the trigger on a set of falken wildpeaks at3. they should be in and installed in the next week or 2. $1050 taxes in. Vs $1320 for the bfg ko2

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just pulled the trigger on a set of falken wildpeaks at3. they should be in and installed in the next week or 2. $1050 taxes in. Vs $1320 for the bfg ko2

Congrats on the choice. I am happy with mine after 21,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 9:06 AM, sjr613 said:

What size did you get? I found a set of the very same tire on TireBuyer.com for $643.96 shipped and installed locally. You must have got a bigger size I assume?

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 5.53.16 PM.png

What size did you get? I found a set of the very same tire on TireBuyer.com for $643.96 shipped and installed locally. You must have got a bigger size I assume?
59f90944b4032_ScreenShot2017-10-31at5_53_16PM.thumb.png.329a41590a4c0d73ddd028f48088282c.png
275 /60r20. But I'm also in Canada

7 hours ago, sjr613 said:

275 /60r20. But I'm also in Canada

Ahh, I see. The 20"s are probably more than the 18"s, too. 

Ahh, I see. The 20"s are probably more than the 18"s, too. 
I havent even got them on yet. They are at the tire shop. My appointment is tomorrow. Took a week to order them and a week for them to find a spot to squeeze me in.

I was debating between the toyo open country at ii extreme and the bfg ko2,  and went with toyo bc I read a lot of people having issues balancing the bfg. Anyone know of that issue?

Archived