best AT tires for winter?

CbrownGT

ive got 25k on my toyos. probably have about another 15k on them. i'll be deciding between these two when i get new ones. its a hard one bc ive had no issue with the toyos. curiosity is getting the best of me

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was debating between the toyo open country at ii extreme and the bfg ko2,  and went with toyo bc I read a lot of people having issues balancing the bfg. Anyone know of that issue?
Had a set of 315x70r17 LR Ds AT/KOs on my Dodge 2500 a few years ago...within 4000 miles all four became an inch out of round. BFG would not warranty them because "they are a specialty tire". I eventually sold them to an offroader for a dedicated trail rig for practically nothing, sold the whole set for less than $200, they were well north of $1k when I bought them.

I will never go out of my way to buy another BFG tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My opinion is the BFGs pack in with snow too easy. every set i have had are squirrely. 31x10.5s are abundant thanks to the old ZR2s and i usually just get them used and cheap for my LT1 S10 to smoke off.  Had the Toyos on my 2500 and those were the best tire i ever ran in the snow.  my other choice would be Nitto Terra grappler

7 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Had a set of 315x70r17 LR Ds AT/KOs on my Dodge 2500 a few years ago...within 4000 miles all four became an inch out of round. BFG would not warranty them because "they are a specialty tire". I eventually sold them to an offroader for a dedicated trail rig for practically nothing, sold the whole set for less than $200, they were well north of $1k when I bought them.

I will never go out of my way to buy another BFG tire.

Good to know. Hopefully bfg did some redesigning with the ko2. I've yet to do any detailed research on them, but I can say that toyo has done me no wrong and that it's going to take a lot to sway me from them

the KO2 is indeed a new design.  They are quiet and excellent in the rain.  The LT C Rated Tire has the same sidewall as the E, and weighs 45 pounds versus 53 pounds.  BFG recommends 50 PSI all around for my 2009 Yukon XL 4x4, I'm running them at 42 psi right now.  They're also available in P-Metric.  Can't comment on snow, none around here.

Those with the ATW, did your gas mileage take a hit?

It's another thing I have to consider...with my old truck, I would lose several mpg swapping between my Pirelli STRa's and my Revo Duelers IIs.

It's another thing I have to consider...with my old truck, I would lose several mpg swapping between my Pirelli STRa's and my Revo Duelers IIs.

I bought my Silverado with the cooper stmaxx tires. They were all beat to hell so I sold them for $200 and bought my falken atw3s I have not seen a difference in gas mileage however I am sure the previous owner saw the mileage decrease when they went from factory p-rated to the LT rated coopers. I average around 15-16 mpg, city and highway combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have run LT tires for about 70,000 miles now on my 2006. The first set of Cooper's didn't hurt my mileage any, compared to the 4 ply SRA's. The ATW's seem to have taken it down about .5 mpg, hard to say exactly though, since my driving has changed to more in town since I've gotten them.

IMO, it's cheaper to lose a bit of fuel economy than get flats and slide into things.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have run LT tires for about 70,000 miles now on my 2006. The first set of Cooper's didn't hurt my mileage any, compared to the 4 ply SRA's. The ATW's seem to have taken it down about .5 mpg, hard to say exactly though, since my driving has changed to more in town since I've gotten them.

IMO, it's cheaper to lose a bit of fuel economy than get flats and slide into things.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Understand that point...I'm considering buying the Weathermaster M&S, run them a year.

WHY are 275/65/20 so much more than 275/60/20?! (Aside from the 1/2”). Annoying.

Why get NEW tires and go from a 55 to a 60 when the real difference would be from a 55 to a 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter is an interesting time and where I live, no tire really is perfect in every way.  But the BFG KO2's I use are pretty good.  I deal with muddy gravel roads one day, and snow drifts the next.  It goes back and forth like that all winter long.  Sometimes more frozen and snow than muddy. But when spring rolls around, I can count on the gravel roads being a mud bog event.   I have to deal with almost 2 miles of gravel road, one way, whenever I leave the house.  The KO2's deal with it great.  And they are pretty darn good on the pavement also and quiet.   I push snow with them on the truck and they never fail to handle it well.   How a tire looks on my pickup has never really been a consideration.  Functionality is my only concern.  I never noticed a fuel economy hit with them.

Archived