Lucky to be able to tag along with little brother who drew one of five tags for a bull moose in the area we hunt on his SECOND try! These two old curmudgeons had their hand full for seven hours until we got the last of it back to camp! I will say though that his Ford F150 couldn't handle the moose and his travel trailer so we unhooked put the ATV and trailer on his and I towed his trailer home for him.

IMG_2302.JPG

mature one.

I am up in rural maine.. spotted bear and moose recent weeks getting hauled. The snowmobile/ATV trailer is a favorite. they sit down low if one has to manhandle the 1000 pounds. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty jealous. I've always wanted to go moose hunting. In NH you have to put in for lottery and it's pretty rare to get a shot at one, once you get a ticket you basically have to hire a guide or you aren't gonna get shit. I see photos from trail cams with decent frequency but they are rather illusive. 

mature one.
I am up in rural maine.. spotted bear and moose recent weeks getting hauled. The snowmobile/ATV trailer is a favorite. they sit down low if one has to manhandle the 1000 pounds. [emoji4]
And they tilt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty jealous. I've always wanted to go moose hunting. In NH you have to put in for lottery and it's pretty rare to get a shot at one, once you get a ticket you basically have to hire a guide or you aren't gonna get shit. I see photos from trail cams with decent frequency but they are rather illusive. 
PA has an Elk lottery now, but it's pointless because unless you have the ability to scout the area (they are in only one spot in the state) AND are lucky enough to draw a tag; chances are slim of getting one.

I have the right tool for the job, but not enough luck. I've considered going out to the rockies for a hunt...

4 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

PA has an Elk lottery now, but it's pointless because unless you have the ability to scout the area (they are in only one spot in the state) AND are lucky enough to draw a tag; chances are slim of getting one.

I have the right tool for the job, but not enough luck. I've considered going out to the rockies for a hunt...

I've wanted to go out west to do a Elk hunt for a few years now. Truth be told I'm just not a good enough hunter yet to justify the cost. I have been hunting around 13 years off and on now, some years every weekend, some years only a few times. This year I've been getting back in full force though so maybe the future will look better for me.

Either way, east coast hunting sure can be brutal with the public land issue.

I've wanted to go out west to do a Elk hunt for a few years now. Truth be told I'm just not a good enough hunter yet to justify the cost. I have been hunting around 13 years off and on now, some years every weekend, some years only a few times. This year I've been getting back in full force though so maybe the future will look better for me.

Either way, east coast hunting sure can be brutal with the public land issue.
I have watched nearly every hunting spot I grew up with be posted by hunting clubs leasing the land. Unless you own land, know somebody who does, or hunt public land; it's very limited where you can actually go. I'm lucky, between my parents and grandparents I have about 100 acres to play with...

On 11/10/2017 at 8:20 AM, Penguin VII said:

Don't know if you know where Moosilauke is but I've seen moose sign all over the place there in the past year or so, I was on a trail that was covered in moose poop for about 100 feet, it was like a carpet.  Never seen anything quite like it.

Also was driving up there once with a friend and a moose was right next to the road.  Freaked us out a little bit, even in a car they can still mess you up.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:17 AM, lew-e said:

What rifle did you use to put em down? Congrats btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His rifle is a 1921 vintage Savage .300. Shot placement is everything, but at 140yds and a heart shot he didn't even know he was dead.

His rifle is a 1921 vintage Savage .300. Shot placement is everything, but at 140yds and a heart shot he didn't even know he was dead.
My dad has the same rifle...Savage 99 in 300 Savage. Awesome caliber...

Only thing he uses is plain 'ol 150gr Core Lokt.
My father has been using a hand load his uncle developed probably 50 years ago...150 grain pointed spire point, IMR 3031 powder. Wonderful deer rifle...devastating load and punches tacks at 100 yards.

1 minute ago, sdeeter19555 said:

My father has been using a hand load his uncle developed probably 50 years ago...150 grain pointed spire point, IMR 3031 powder. Wonderful deer rifle...devastating load and punches tacks at 100 yards.

Those old things sure have a distinct sound. More of what I would call a *craack* than a boom. At least the rest of our group knows where *gunner* is when we hear him touch it off. He has been shooting that since he was 12 and has tried and tried to shoot a bolt gun, but just doesn't have the confidence. Very, very seldom does he need a follow-up shot as he knows his weapon's limitations. Always giving the newbie guys in camp a bad time by reminding them it is call hunting and not shooting.

Archived