Morimoto HID Bulb Issue - Looking for Help

Hi All,  it's been a while since I have been on here and of course I stopped in with an issue. Been running the Morimoto HID set-up on my 2015 Sierra for over two years now with no issues until last week when I noticed the driver side bulb was out. No big deal I run the 50w bulbs and knew they would not last forever. So I grab a new bulb from the glove box (bought extra bulbs last year) and plugged it in but got nothing. I pulled out the second brand new bulb and got nothing again. I even used the new wire harness that came with the new bulbs and still got nothing. I reached out to TRS where I purchased the HID kit from and they told me swap over all the components from the passenger side one at time to narrow down which part has failed. I have not had time to do this because of my work schedule so I thought I might drop in here to see if anyone else has run into to this? And to see all the new pretty trucks of course :)

Thanks,

AD

Hi All,  it's been a while since I have been on here and of course I stopped in with an issue. Been running the Morimoto HID set-up on my 2015 Sierra for over two years now with no issues until last week when I noticed the driver side bulb was out. No big deal I run the 50w bulbs and knew they would not last forever. So I grab a new bulb from the glove box (bought extra bulbs last year) and plugged it in but got nothing. I pulled out the second brand new bulb and got nothing again. I even used the new wire harness that came with the new bulbs and still got nothing. I reached out to TRS where I purchased the HID kit from and they told me swap over all the components from the passenger side one at time to narrow down which part has failed. I have not had time to do this because of my work schedule so I thought I might drop in here to see if anyone else has run into to this? And to see all the new pretty trucks of course [emoji4]

Thanks,
AD

My guess would be the igniter or the ballast on driver side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue on my car with the headlights. For me it was a connector that broke. Not the bulb. Once I tried the other side I checked each piece til I found the bad part. It sucks but it works to truly know which part is bad. TRS sent me the new connector and new bulbs due to them upgrading their parts for my model

My first guess would be the ballast or a ground wire in the harness.  I've had a ballast go intermittently bad and TRS did a bench troubleshoot on it and replaced it.  I carry an set of ballast with me because I've gone from 35w to 50w and back to 35w again, so I keep the extra set in the truck just in case I need them.  Even though I aimed my headlights I was getting flashed all the time with the 50w ballasts by other drivers.

I have a similar issue with my driver side not firing intermittently. I can turn them off and back on and it will fire. Can go days without seeing it too. TRS told me to swap parts but it means removing zip ties and redoing the tape so I have been avoiding it...

I had this a couple years ago.  Turned out the relay and socket was getting corroded badly. Simply changed the relay.  It happened a this year again.  This time I had to replace the socket and relay.  It had corroded the socket so badly, it was falling apart.  I put white silicone grease all around the seals of the relay and the wires feeding into the socket base.  Recently, I changed over to the 2016-17 LED headlights with no stinking relays, ballasts or bulbs.

Check your relays.

Edited by roaniecowpony

6 hours ago, jrob56 said:

I have a similar issue with my driver side not firing intermittently. I can turn them off and back on and it will fire. Can go days without seeing it too. TRS told me to swap parts but it means removing zip ties and redoing the tape so I have been avoiding it...

I had this exact same issue a couple of months ago, but both lights would occasionally not fire.  Literally tried everything swapping every single component, taking everything apart, checking connections, etc.  I spent a ton of time on it only to find it was the bulbs going bad.  Apparently it happens from time to time, which I thought was weird considering the kit was less than a year old. Put in a new set of bulbs and haven't had a single issue since.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, winn0040 said:

I had this exact same issue a couple of months ago, but both lights would occasionally not fire.  Literally tried everything swapping every single component, taking everything apart, checking connections, etc.  I spent a ton of time on it only to find it was the bulbs going bad.  Apparently it happens from time to time, which I thought was weird considering the kit was less than a year old. Put in a new set of bulbs and haven't had a single issue since.

Thanks I’ll  swap bulbs side to side and see if it’s those first.

• 4 weeks later...

What’s the update?

I had my driver side go out last year. Swapped things around and then swapped them back. Worked ever since. Leads me to believe,

Something simply came loose. (Which is still annoying).

Now, last night, my passenger side is out. I mean, stock lights sucked and all, but atleast the reliability of the shitty lights was there.

I have the TRS Morimoto HID 35w kit.

Do connections come loose frequently or is there something better I can do here?

Thanks for the posts guys.

I was thinking about up grading my head lights. LED or HID. Couldn't decide.

Was real close to Morimoto 35 W HID.

Glad I left it stock. They are dependable.

Rural Colorado mountains.

Wild life, dark. You know the drill.

Cheap parts for the cost of these kits.

Hella relays. :thumbs:

There is a relay on our boiler heat system that I recently changed due to its age, 23 years, still worked.

So quality does exist.

Oh it would piss me off to have to take my install apart to swap parts to find the bad part.

:happysad:

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Thanks for the posts guys.

I was thinking about up grading my head lights. LED or HID. Couldn't decide.

Was real close to Morimoto 35 W HID.

Glad I left it stock. They are dependable.

Rural Colorado mountains.

Wild life, dark. You know the drill.

Cheap parts for the cost of these kits.

Hella relays. :thumbs:

There is a relay on our boiler heat system that I recently changed due to its age, 23 years, still worked.

So quality does exist.

Oh it would piss me off to have to take my install apart to swap parts to find the bad part.

:happysad:

If you have a 2012, the reflector halogen headlights should be great.