TPMS Relearn question

My 2016 Silverado came with 22 inch rims. I bought a set of 18 midnight edition gm rims that were new take offs for winter rims. I had the 18s on in the spring and the TPMS registered to the truck just fine. Put the 22s on for the summer. Just had dealer put the 18s back on and they tried two tpms tools and it won't relearn the 18s to my truck. I bought my own tmps tool and it will work on my 22s but it won't do my 18s either. What gives? My 18s are off a 2016 silverado and are brand new. Why won't they register to my truck with three different tpms tools?

Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 2016 Silverado came with 22 inch rims. I bought a set of 18 midnight edition gm rims that were new take offs for winter rims. I had the 18s on in the spring and the TPMS registered to the truck just fine. Put the 22s on for the summer. Just had dealer put the 18s back on and they tried two tpms tools and it won't relearn the 18s to my truck. I bought my own tmps tool and it will work on my 22s but it won't do my 18s either. What gives? My 18s are off a 2016 silverado and are brand new. Why won't they register to my truck with three different tpms tools?

Any advice?

The trucks fine with 22's, tpms tool works on 22's , only thing left is the sensors in the 18's. Gonna have to spring for new set of sensors.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

The trucks fine with 22's, tpms tool works on 22's , only thing left is the sensors in the 18's. Gonna have to spring for new set of sensors.

I find it hard to believe all four tpms sensors went bad on a brand new Set of gm rims after 6 months.

The trucks fine with 22's, tpms tool works on 22's , only thing left is the sensors in the 18's. Gonna have to spring for new set of sensors. Dont know how old the 18's sensors are but the batteries die at some point in the sensors after 8-10 years or so it is a good idea if you are getting new tires just to have the sensors replaced why they are in there.

I find it hard to believe all four tpms sensors went bad on a brand new Set of gm rims after 6 months.

Where ever you bought them from 6 months ago should be fixing the problem. I am just using the process of elimination something is wrong with the sensors if they are not registering. I'm sure changing them would fix your problem. If GM and your dealer could not get them to work what else could it be?

Where ever you bought them from 6 months ago should be fixing the problem. I am just using the process of elimination something is wrong with the sensors if they are not registering. I'm sure changing them would fix your problem. If GM and your dealer could not get them to work what else could it be? 

Appreciate the help. Was hoping someone had another solution to try short of buying new sensors

The sensors should be fine, they are powered by kinetic energy so they shouldn't be burnt out already. But they might be.

When you set up new tpms you have to go in a certain order so if the front left is burnt out you cant move on to the next.

If they are a Gm tpms they should still be under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sensors should be fine, they are powered by kinetic energy so they shouldn't be burnt out already. But they might be.

When you set up new tpms you have to go in a certain order so if the front left is burnt out you cant move on to the next.

I tried starting at each tire and nothing. I even tried putting one of my 22s by the truck and hit that first the truck beeped then went on to the front right 18 and nothing. I tried it my father's 2016 with 17 in rims and the tool worked great. Even though the 18s are gm rims I doubt they would warranty them since I bought them as new take offs from a private seller.

7 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I tried starting at each tire and nothing. I even tried putting one of my 22s by the truck and hit that first the truck beeped then went on to the front right 18 and nothing. I tried it my father's 2016 with 17 in rims and the tool worked great. Even though the 18s are gm rims I doubt they would warranty them since I bought them as new take offs from a private seller.

I know you are looking for some other solution besides replacing the sensors but it sure sounds like that's what needs to happen.

This tool you have, if it's like oem, you should be able to to hold in near the sensor and it will try to communicate with it. If it doesn't then that sensor has an issue. 

10 hours ago, SuperSierra said:

Uh...they do have batteries.  Activating them to the truck or driving them takes them out of "sleep" mode if you will. 

It could also be a possibility that the person you got them from took the sensors out and put them in their new set of tires. So there might not even be sensors in the wheels.

It could also be a possibility that the person you got them from took the sensors out and put them in their new set of tires. So there might not even be sensors in the wheels.

No the sensors are in there. I drove them for a month in the spring and the dealer was able to relearn the 18s to my truck just fine. Then they sat in my garage all summer. Now they won't work.

I think the solution is to put a piece of electrical tape over the tpms warning light soon don't have to look at it

My 2014 Impala was weird about a set of Camaro 18's I put on last fall.  I had the tires mounted and when I went to relearn the tpms system the car would do nothing..... you could start the process fine but it failed every single time.  I ended up driving the car for about an hour and roughly 15 minutes into the drive it realized the original wheels were gone and threw the TPMS light.  Once it had done that and I got back home it learned the Camaro rims just fine......

I just swapped a set of factory 20's for my 18's on my 2017 2500HD and it relearned the new rims immediately with no drive time required.  Who knows lol. 

My 2014 Impala was weird about a set of Camaro 18's I put on last fall.  I had the tires mounted and when I went to relearn the tpms system the car would do nothing..... you could start the process fine but it failed every single time.  I ended up driving the car for about an hour and roughly 15 minutes into the drive it realized the original wheels were gone and threw the TPMS light.  Once it had done that and I got back home it learned the Camaro rims just fine......

I just swapped a set of factory 20's for my 18's on my 2017 2500HD and it relearned the new rims immediately with no drive time required.  Who knows lol. 
My light came on after driving 10 mins. I drove them a few days that way. I'm gonna try re registering my 22s again then put them back in the garage and try the 18s again.

Archived