Solid axle swap

How much money and effort would it take to do a solid front axle swap on a 90's model K2500?

Also does a that kind of truck have a Limited slip diff, front or rear? If so, would i really be doing any good by putting in solid axle and locker?

Its not going to be easy but its not the most complicated.  You have to split it up into different sections.  Starting with the axle, a dana 44 came on the 80s 3/4 ton truck but if you wanted some more weight capacity I would try and find a dana 60.  Those might have came on the 80's 1 ton trucks and they also came on some fords.  Suspension wise you have to know what kind of lift height you want to run because you probably wont be able to keep stock height.  I've seen swaps that only add about 4-5" using reversed arch leave springs.  These came on the 80's gm 4wd trucks.  My advice would be to find a good parts truck and work from there.  Steering is another issue whether you want to go with a remote hydraulic system or try and match something that came stock on the 80's trucks.  Coil springs are a different suspension option, they would be more expensive because of a the tracbar setup but they probably would ride better.  Some of these trucks came with lockers in the rear or limited slips.  It depends on your RPO codes in the glove box.  

Archived