Lifted my 15 on stock 20's

12 hours ago, Luvnlife said:

How does the difference in tire diameter effect speedometer and any other system?

I have the same set up just without stock rims. from 45-55 the speedometer is about 5 mph off, from there to 70 it is about 6 mph off. I used a speedometer on my phone to get use to the speeds, only took once or twice driving it. Something I will correct when I get a tune. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Irby1757 said:

I have the same set up just without stock rims. from 45-55 the speedometer is about 5 mph off, from there to 70 it is about 6 mph off. I used a speedometer on my phone to get use to the speeds, only took once or twice driving it. Something I will correct when I get a tune. 

Ah.  Okay.  I was wondering how people figure out if their speedo is off.  I was thinking about asking a cop if he could gun me but I haven't seen one out yet.

What tune are you going with?  I think I am gonna go with a black bear and then I think I'm done.  Already did the flow master exhaust and K&N intake 

7 minutes ago, Zipsort said:

Ah.  Okay.  I was wondering how people figure out if their speedo is off.  I was thinking about asking a cop if he could gun me but I haven't seen one out yet.

What tune are you going with?  I think I am gonna go with a black bear and then I think I'm done.  Already did the flow master exhaust and K&N intake 

I downloaded an app named Speedometer, and it worked great. I tested it in my wife's SUV as well to ensure it was spot on. 

I think I am going with Lew. Seems to be a solid split of what everyone uses. Both are very good at what they do. I need to get the K&N first. Then I will do mine. 

6 minutes ago, Irby1757 said:

I downloaded an app named Speedometer, and it worked great. I tested it in my wife's SUV as well to ensure it was spot on. 

I think I am going with Lew. Seems to be a solid split of what everyone uses. Both are very good at what they do. I need to get the K&N first. Then I will do mine. 

Never heard of it to be honest.  Or wait is that the Diablo one or whatever?  And thanks I just got the app ill check it out later today

And yeah  Theres a lot of varying reviews on the K&N intake and just intakes in general but I 100% noticed increased throttle response, def better mileage and I think it sounds great.  WELL worth the money in my opinion, people can talk all the crap they want but hey its our money not theirs.  Plus it only took me like an hour to put in.

Your truck looks nice too, got a full shot?

6 minutes ago, Zipsort said:

Never heard of it to be honest.  Or wait is that the Diablo one or whatever?  And thanks I just got the app ill check it out later today

And yeah  Theres a lot of varying reviews on the K&N intake and just intakes in general but I 100% noticed increased throttle response, def better mileage and I think it sounds great.  WELL worth the money in my opinion, people can talk all the crap they want but hey its our money not theirs.  Plus it only took me like an hour to put in.

Your truck looks nice too, got a full shot?

Yep, Diablew tune. You can buy the Intune and Custom tune from him. He is on this forum, but also has a website. I agree on the intake, I have always been a fan of the sound that they add. I don't care much about adding the HP the claim to add. I appreciate it, has been a slow build. Want to do a grill and headlights soon so I can go to LED's. 

IMG_4351.JPG

Lift 2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Irby1757 said:

Yep, Diablew tune. You can buy the Intune and Custom tune from him. He is on this forum, but also has a website. I agree on the intake, I have always been a fan of the sound that they add. I don't care much about adding the HP the claim to add. I appreciate it, has been a slow build. Want to do a grill and headlights soon so I can go to LED's. 

IMG_4351.JPG

Lift 2.jpg

That back end is sexxxy.   I need to dip my bowtie.  Looks like its squatting in the first pic but not the second.  Mine seems to squat sometimes too.... then it goes away

Thanks. I like that photo. The first picture is on a pretty steep incline in my driveway. There are times I think it looks low in the back. Might have to do the add a leaf at some point. 

C1C5CB56-1C03-4869-B8D8-319370F16266.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Irby1757 said:

Thanks. I like that photo. The first picture is on a pretty steep incline in my driveway. There are times I think it looks low in the back. Might have to do the add a leaf at some point. 

C1C5CB56-1C03-4869-B8D8-319370F16266.jpeg

Yea it just makes the ride quite a bit more stiff

So just called Zone about the 6.5 lift and the guy wasnt completely sure about the spacers working with the stock rims like the OP setup.

im so ready to get the lift done, but not big on spending money on rims if i dont need to.

Do you have cast, aluminum or stamped control arms?

I can save myself almost $3k if im able to use my current stock rims like you did and do the lift install myself... that savings is total for tires and rims, but keeping my rims would allow for a little different tire than before, so total savings wont be so much after tire upgrade.

I would be ok with 34's if that meant i could keep and use my current rims.. even with a thin spacer

1 hour ago, cubangt said:

So just called Zone about the 6.5 lift and the guy wasnt completely sure about the spacers working with the stock rims like the OP setup.

im so ready to get the lift done, but not big on spending money on rims if i dont need to.

Do you have cast, aluminum or stamped control arms?

I can save myself almost $3k if im able to use my current stock rims like you did and do the lift install myself... that savings is total for tires and rims, but keeping my rims would allow for a little different tire than before, so total savings wont be so much after tire upgrade.

I would be ok with 34's if that meant i could keep and use my current rims.. even with a thin spacer

Cast

Im not sure why it wouldn't work with spacers.. would just push the wheels out a little bit. 

7 minutes ago, Zipsort said:

More Photos.  I need a better camera

truckfront-crop.jpg

Truckside-crop.jpg

truckside2-crop.jpg

Love the look of your front end. Makes me want to hop on Amazon tonight. 

You should take your valence off the bumper. You already lifted, no need for that .5 mpg gain. lol

24 minutes ago, Irby1757 said:

You should take your valence off the bumper. You already lifted, no need for that .5 mpg gain. lol

Yeah I was thinking about it too.  But I may end up doing like an Iron Cross steel bumper or something.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:54 PM, Irby1757 said:

Man what kind of mileage are you getting?  I knew mine would drop but I was reading some people were getting up to 17mpg with 6 inch lift on 35's. I went from like 21 to 12 

18 hours ago, Zipsort said:

Man what kind of mileage are you getting?  I knew mine would drop but I was reading some people were getting up to 17mpg with 6 inch lift on 35's. I went from like 21 to 12 

My last two tanks I have been getting 15.5, that is hand calculating. I usually get around 17 mpg according to the trucks mpg calculation. It took me a few tanks to figure it all out after getting the lift. I also starting using 89 octane when I lifted it, and the truck responded really well to it. I do mostly city driving/country roads with minimal traffic. My worst tank was 13.5 and it was my first full tank after the lift. My hope is that after a CAI and tune I can get to 16.5 mpg or so. It should also help calculate better once you adjust the speedometer. 

Side note, I drive like a grandpa. My wife makes fun of me. 

Archived