it happend to me oil change *up!

So after the free oil changes I realized it would take at least an hour or a little more to get oil changed for 80$ Even with appointment. And each oil change the dip stick would say its 1qt overfilled.

so I decided to start changing the oil myself.

And In doing this I learned a big lesson late in life.

make sure the damn o-ring is still in the old filter!  This has never happend to me ever!  Embarrassing as heck!

Oil everywhere, luckily I was out by the old shed and not on my concrete. Had to clean up my toxic waste and now somehow clean the bottom of my truck.

So even after all that  I'm still changing my own oil from here on out. 

another thing I learned is that after 5k the oil filter gets really hard to get off. The old filter Deforms from trying to break it free it get so tight.

i use dexos o- 20w.

IMG_4020.JPG

another thing I learned is that after 5k the oil filter gets really hard to get off.

That usually indicates it was installed to tight.  Never use a wrench to install a spin-on oil filter.     Lightly oil the gasket contact surface with new engine oil and hand tighten 3/4 to 1 turn after gasket contacts the block surface, anymore than that distorts the filter..  

2 hours ago, elcamino said:

That usually indicates it was installed to tight.  Never use a wrench to install a spin-on oil filter.     Lightly oil the gasket contact surface with new engine oil and hand tighten 3/4 to 1 turn after gasket contacts the block surface, anymore than that distorts the filter..  

+1 dealerships are notorious for over tightening oil filters. I do all mine myself and it's easily removed with one hand and put back on one hand. 

• 3 months later...

Yep I learned the filter gasket lesson the hard way myself. I was changing my oil late at night and was exhausted from a long day at work. Wife wasn't home yet with the other car so I had to wait for her to get home to go get replacement oil.

Just bought a 2001 Silverado and change the oil myself. The oil filter wasn't too bad but I think it was on a little bit too tight. However, the oil pan drain plug was too tight for sure. It was an STP oil filter so I guess it wasn't a dealership that changed the oil

Larry

Look into a Fumoto Valve, for the drain plug side. Makes it so much easier to change. Also, i punch a hole in my filter with a roofing nail/punch to drain it before removing it. Less of a mess.

Look into a Fumoto Valve, for the drain plug side. Makes it so much easier to change. Also, i punch a hole in my filter with a roofing nail/punch to drain it before removing it. Less of a mess.

I've thought about it Fumoto valve but this truck may only get its oil changed once a year. It probably won't get a lot of miles

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Archived