Roof rail airbag deployment

I mentioned this earlier in the new member into.  My roof rail bags popped when I put the truck on a bank to go around a fallen tree.  The sad part is, I took the same track as the F-150 in front of me and he had to drag my camping gear home.  GM has denied warranty, ESIS stated that it is a predictive system and they cannot give me a reason on why it thought is was in a rollover.  They suggested "don't take the vehicle off road or on any uneven surfaces".  Really?  They also verbally pass blame on the lift kit, which, is a GM certified lift kit.  They will not put that into writing, which, does not allow the dealership to warranty it under the certified parts warranty for the lift kit.  Adding insult to injury, literally, the airbag deployed on the right side of my head and face planted me into the door.  If I would have rolled, the airbag would have caused more damage than a minor concussion.  ESIS then tells me I need to stay away from the door area while driving to prevent that from happening again.  I wish I could say I was making this up.  The statements I am getting from this ESIS department, who investigates claims for GM, are completely off the mark.  GM executive tried to get involved but they were told by ESIS that they cannot discuss any details about the claim with them.  Seriously, has anyone every heard of anything like this before? 

Wow, I can’t believe GM has told all that bullshit. I’d be having a meeting with the  Service manager, the New Truck Sales Manager and your salesman. I think they are full of shit, how are you supposed to stay away from the door, and don’t take your truck off road. I feel sorry that they are trying to pass the buck. I hope you go back and demand GM fixes the problem. 

GM really drops the ball when it really matters most. Such as the vibrating trucks that are found to be "in spec".That is in no way your fault. I would be claiming neck injury soft tissue damage and whatever else and hiring a attorney. That is an absolute safety issue and a manufacturing defect. If they were willing to admit fault and go out of their way to fix it I might be pursued to let it go.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My company has a few dozen K2 silverados in our fleet and we take them off road for our work nearly every day in places most would not take a vehicle and never had this happen.  I have also never heard of a GM certified lift kit.  Do you mean your dealership installed the lift so you now think it is "certified"?  Do you have a link showing this certified kit and where to buy it?  I would say the lift probably did cause your problem.  If you want a lifted truck these days you are probably better off buying an 80's model truck that doesn't have any computer crap in it.  Here is a link you may find interesting where someone else had the same problem.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/12/lift-kit-voids-warranty-for-2016-chevrolet-silverado-despite-being-installed-by-dealer/

I've heard of this happening before, and everytime I remember reading about it, it was a lifted truck. I think it's the body roll that lift kits allow and the way the computer interprets that information.

I agree above, a local dealer puts lifts on trucks here too, and that local dealer will warranty the truck because they put the lift on...but it is not GM "certified" by any means.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, Greatwhitebuffalo said:

I mentioned this earlier in the new member into.  My roof rail bags popped when I put the truck on a bank to go around a fallen tree.  The sad part is, I took the same track as the F-150 in front of me and he had to drag my camping gear home.  GM has denied warranty, ESIS stated that it is a predictive system and they cannot give me a reason on why it thought is was in a rollover.  They suggested "don't take the vehicle off road or on any uneven surfaces".  Really?  They also verbally pass blame on the lift kit, which, is a GM certified lift kit.  They will not put that into writing, which, does not allow the dealership to warranty it under the certified parts warranty for the lift kit.  Adding insult to injury, literally, the airbag deployed on the right side of my head and face planted me into the door.  If I would have rolled, the airbag would have caused more damage than a minor concussion.  ESIS then tells me I need to stay away from the door area while driving to prevent that from happening again.  I wish I could say I was making this up.  The statements I am getting from this ESIS department, who investigates claims for GM, are completely off the mark.  GM executive tried to get involved but they were told by ESIS that they cannot discuss any details about the claim with them.  Seriously, has anyone every heard of anything like this before? 

No such thing as a GM certified lift kit.  Nail in the coffin right there, that's why GM is being hands off of it. 

Wonder why they have warrantied the axle problem I had due to the lift kit twice under that program...  The GM certified lift kit agreement states that GM will pay for all replacement parts and the dealership has to cover all labor for 5 year/60,000 miles and I signed paperwork acknowledging that the ProComp ProLift warranty is void under this program.... allegedly.  Feel free to call Lawley Chevrolet in Sierra Vista, AZ 520-226-9417.  You can explain to them there is no such thing.

Wonder why they have warrantied the axle problem I had due to the lift kit twice under that program...  The GM certified lift kit agreement states that GM will pay for all replacement parts and the dealership has to cover all labor for 5 year/60,000 miles and I signed paperwork acknowledging that the ProComp ProLift warranty is void under this program.... allegedly.  Feel free to call Lawley Chevrolet in Sierra Vista, AZ 520-226-9417.  You can explain to them there is no such thing.
If the warranty was worth the paper it's written on, you wouldn't be having this conversation going...

Instead of trying to convince us how good that warranty is, get a lawyer and leverage it against GM since it's a binding contract...it shouldn't take more than a call to make that happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Greatwhitebuffalo said:

Again...no such thing as a GM certified lift kit.  No agreement, no kits, no nothing.  GM does not warranty any aftermarket modifications, be it done by the dealer or not.  Someone there fed you a good line and the lure is still stuck. 

5 hours ago, newdude said:

Again...no such thing as a GM certified lift kit.  No agreement, no kits, no nothing.  GM does not warranty any aftermarket modifications, be it done by the dealer or not.  Someone there fed you a good line and the lure is still stuck. 

Solid contribution to this thread.  I was looking for anyone with helpful experience.  Not people who think they 100% know how everything works.  Enjoy your ignorance!

Archived