Alpine X110-SLV vs. MVI GM Navigation Upgrade

Just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the 8" w/Nav, CD, and Bose. I've been looking at some upgrades, especially since the navigation is way out of date and takes me in the wrong direction. Also would like to add in-motion, phone mirroring, and DVD player.

Any suggestions on the best route to go? I know its going to be pricey either way.

The Alpine X110-SLV looks appealing because of the bigger 10" screen, DVD player, and screen mirroring with the HDMI input. Not sure if it has in-motion options. 

MVI also looks good, but adding all those upgrades is quite steep considering its just the factory system.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews on the Alpine, so I didn't know if any of you had any experience with them. I've seen a lot of good things about the MVI.

Or are there comparable options? It seems other aftermarket heads have smaller screens (7" or so being largest).

Edited by halhawkins

I have the alpine 7” equivalent. Brain wise it’s the same radio. I can’t say anything bad about it. Currently have the x110 sra on layaway right now. Maps have always taken me exactly where I need to be and I travel all over the nation for work.
Out of the box it won’t have video in motion. Add a pac TR7 inline and it will

If you go with the alpine you’ll need the nose add on otherwise it won’t function correctly.

I can’t speak for the mvi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ichie123 said:

I have the alpine 7” equivalent. Brain wise it’s the same radio. I can’t say anything bad about it. Currently have the x110 sra on layaway right now. Maps have always taken me exactly where I need to be and I travel all over the nation for work.
Out of the box it won’t have video in motion. Add a pac TR7 inline and it will

If you go with the alpine you’ll need the nose add on otherwise it won’t function correctly.

I can’t speak for the mvi.

Did you lose or see any decrease in functionality switching to the Alpine? Like voice command or lag time pairing the phone?

I can’t say much for the voice command. I just don’t use it and prob never will. The unit has favorites button so it’s 2 button pushes to call the few people I ever need to call and music wise I just shuffle all the time and skip whatever I’m not in the mood for.

As far as pairing I suppose you mean after the initial pairing when starting the vehicle. It’s not instant but I would say it’s faster than the factory system. Have i timed that? No. Alpine has their boot up screen just like the factory and it seems to be connected when the system pops up. For thefactory system it seems to sometimes take it a few seconds after the boot up to connect again.

As far as functionality wise goes I’ve put that radio in to 3 separate vehicles that were all technologically dated. So I can’t say that I did or didn’t lose anything. However alpine claims that you lose nothing but the 5 USB ports. If you get the bose add on module they’ll replace the 3 USB port with a single usb port. You’ll also lose the rear cam lines that move. :( my biggest complaint with it lol. It gives you standard lines with the choice of removing them if you’d like. To my knowledge those are the only two loss in functionality that you lose.

On 10/17/2017 at 1:20 PM, halhawkins said:

Just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the 8" w/Nav, CD, and Bose. I've been looking at some upgrades, especially since the navigation is way out of date and takes me in the wrong direction. Also would like to add in-motion, phone mirroring, and DVD player.

Any suggestions on the best route to go? I know its going to be pricey either way.

The Alpine X110-SLV looks appealing because of the bigger 10" screen, DVD player, and screen mirroring with the HDMI input. Not sure if it has in-motion options. 

MVI also looks good, but adding all those upgrades is quite steep considering its just the factory system.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews on the Alpine, so I didn't know if any of you had any experience with them. I've seen a lot of good things about the MVI.

Or are there comparable options? It seems other aftermarket heads have smaller screens (7" or so being largest).

You could look at something like this: https://www.adcmobile.com/product/igo-nextgen-navigation-hdmi-for-2017-chevrolet-vehicles/ 

It has iGo NextGen navi, HDMI input for phone mirroring and additional camera input. It retains the factory 8" screen and has no in-motion restriction. It doesn't add DVD, but if you consider how many things you could connect using the HDMI input (phone, Chromecast/Roku/FireStick/KODI box, etc.), there are about a million ways to get just about anything into that screen w/o using a DVD.

BTW: forum members get a discount...

Walt

Edited by wottenad

18 hours ago, wottenad said:

You could look at something like this: https://www.adcmobile.com/product/igo-nextgen-navigation-hdmi-for-2017-chevrolet-vehicles/ 

It has iGo NextGen navi, HDMI input for phone mirroring and additional camera input. It retains the factory 8" screen and has no in-motion restriction. It doesn't add DVD, but if you consider how many things you could connect using the HDMI input (phone, Chromecast/Roku/FireStick/KODI box, etc.), there are about a million ways to get just about anything into that screen w/o using a DVD.

Walt

Where does the HDMI input end up? Also, do I lose all the USB ports for the center console?

8 minutes ago, halhawkins said:

Where does the HDMI input end up? Also, do I lose all the USB ports for the center console?

The HDMI is a female port with a rubber "flange" that you can drill a hole for and mount, but we normally will hide it but add a 6' or so male to male HDMI cable and run that into the center glovebox so you have it available to plug into the adaptor on your phone. This doesn't change the USB ports at all.

Edited by wottenad
spelling

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 8:27 PM, wottenad said:

Walt

Late post, but our trucks are 2015 and that site is for 2017+. it would not work for ours. I think i'm going with the alpine x110 too. 

19 hours ago, jogutier said:

Late post, but our trucks are 2015 and that site is for 2017+. it would not work for ours. I think i'm going with the alpine x110 too. 

We have the iGo NextGen upgrade for 2015, plus we do have the Alpine unit as well and will discount for forum members if you decide to go that way...

• 1 month later...