tboris

2018 Colorado backup display too bright

Question

Just bought a 2018 Colorado Z71. When backing up at night, the backup screen is so bright, I cannot see the right side mirror. 

This is a safety hazard. How do I turn down the display brightness when in reverse?

The dim scroll button to the left of the steering wheel dims the dash and display during driving, but put it in reverse and the display goes to full brightness.

This is an accident waiting to happen!

26 answers to this question

God forbid GM make things like this simple. We've been able to dim instrument lights for 90 years or so, why not these fancy screens?

I'd bring it back to the dealer you bought it from and voice your concerns. If they can't fix it, I'd give GM corporate a call. 

Search the forum -- there is a TSB for this.

On October 18, 2017 at 3:11 PM, sk said:

Search the forum -- there is a TSB for this.

I searched the forum and found nothing. Can you tell me where the TSB is located in the forum?

On October 18, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Coby7 said:

It looks like your 2017 dims properly, my 2018, when in reverse, does not dim when I move the dimmer switch.

I had this exact problem with my 2017 Sierra. GM finally releases an update on August 22nd and I had it fixed. Its a safety issue for sure. My cab was so bright I couldn’t see out my side mirrors at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't find any TSBs for '18 models, but the '17 has 32 TSBs regarding the entertainment system. Lots of Onstar issues. 

My favorite is when the beep for the touch screen is recognized by Onstar as a voice command. Nice work, GM! :thumbs: :lol:

I think things are getting a bit too complicated if a manufacturer has to issue THIRTY TWO TSBs on a single system  ... that THEY created ... :uhoh:

16 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I couldn't find any TSBs for '18 models, but the '17 has 32 TSBs regarding the entertainment system. Lots of Onstar issues. 

My favorite is when the beep for the touch screen is recognized by Onstar as a voice command. Nice work, GM! :thumbs: :lol:

I think things are getting a bit too complicated if a manufacturer has to issue THIRTY TWO TSBs on a single system  ... that THEY created ... :uhoh:

Agreed.  Needs to go back to simple.  Just bought SpeedQueen washer and dryer with pull to start control and zero electronics....old school simple baby! Tired of buying stuff that's engineered to fail after a few years.

• Like 1

someone in a 2500 just had this done and said it worked. He said the code was 17-na-269. Maybe the dealer can explain more

I had this exact problem with my 2017 Sierra. GM finally releases an update on August 22nd and I had it fixed. Its a safety issue for sure. My cab was so bright I couldn’t see out my side mirrors at night

How do you have the vehicle updated to the new update?

It’s an update done as part of a technical service bulletin or TSB. The number is 17-NA-269. Any GM dealer should be able to do it with the scan tool.

*please note this update is model specific, meaning it is not for all GM vehicles. In other words, please don’t demand your local dealer to perform this because it may not fix the problem.

I'd be demanding alot, considering what these damn trucks cost nowadays. Failures or issues of ANY kind at these price levels are unacceptable.

10 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I'd be demanding alot, considering what these damn trucks cost nowadays. Failures or issues of ANY kind at these price levels are unacceptable.

With the amount of features new vehicles have, there will always be issues and things that go wrong. There will always be things that are overlooked, and take time for those issues to be resloved. There aren't as many things that go wrong in older vehicles because there aren't as many things to go wrong in older vehicles. More features cost more. It's unrealistic to expect a vehicle's price to stay the same, but have more features. 

For someone to have an expectation that things will be perfect is unreal. It will never happen

Considering this topic is about a screen that is too bright, and there has been a fix for it, shows that the company is on top of it. No need to put up the picket signs.

Bullcrap on that! I for one ain't paying $50 - $70 large for a truck that's in and out of the dealer weekly for warranty issues. I constantly see all kinds of problems (and have experienced my own list of issues years back) with new vehicles on this site ... and this is just ONE site on the vast expanse of the web.

If you keep thinking that way, what incentive will these companies have to change? They know YOU'LL be back to buy another, and they'll laugh all the way to the bank.

I for one don't want HALF of these damn electronic do-dads. I want my friggin truck to start, run, and stop when needed. Power windows and A/C are my luxury options - everything else can stay in the recycle bin.

4 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Bullcrap on that! I for one ain't paying $50 - $70 large for a truck that's in and out of the dealer weekly for warranty issues. I constantly see all kinds of problems (and have experienced my own list of issues years back) with new vehicles on this site ... and this is just ONE site on the vast expanse of the web.

If you keep thinking that way, what incentive will these companies have to change? They know YOU'LL be back to buy another, and they'll laugh all the way to the bank.

I for one don't want HALF of these damn electronic do-dads. I want my friggin truck to start, run, and stop when needed. Power windows and A/C are my luxury options - everything else can stay in the recycle bin.

I wouldn't want a truck that's in and out for warranty work either. I don't mind paying for extra features. It's the exact reason I bought this truck. I got this thing loaded for the comfort and convenience of having a top of the line product. I have no complaints with my truck. I've had it now for 30k miles with not one issue

Edit: ... actually that's a lie. One of the pressure points for my horn stopped working. Lol maybe I'll take it in eventually

Edited by 8lugmafia