2018 Colorado backup display too bright

tboris

Question

Just bought a 2018 Colorado Z71. When backing up at night, the backup screen is so bright, I cannot see the right side mirror. 

This is a safety hazard. How do I turn down the display brightness when in reverse?

The dim scroll button to the left of the steering wheel dims the dash and display during driving, but put it in reverse and the display goes to full brightness.

This is an accident waiting to happen!

8 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Be glad - you're one of the lucky few ...

I don't recall many people having issues with their 2500s. 

I know some have issues with the digital assist steering

God forbid GM make things like this simple. We've been able to dim instrument lights for 90 years or so, why not these fancy screens?

I'd bring it back to the dealer you bought it from and voice your concerns. If they can't fix it, I'd give GM corporate a call. 

14 hours ago, pdosescu said:

It’s an update done as part of a technical service bulletin or TSB. The number is 17-NA-269. Any GM dealer should be able to do it with the scan tool.

*please note this update is model specific, meaning it is not for all GM vehicles. In other words, please don’t demand your local dealer to perform this because it may not fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue on a 2017 Yukon Denali.  I asked the dealer to apply 17-NA-269 and was told that it didn't apply to my car since I have RSE and that the camera was working as it is supposed to.  I'll take it back in one dark morning and show them that the camera is worthless at night - completely washed out.

16 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I couldn't find any TSBs for '18 models, but the '17 has 32 TSBs regarding the entertainment system. Lots of Onstar issues. 

My favorite is when the beep for the touch screen is recognized by Onstar as a voice command. Nice work, GM! :thumbs: :lol:

I think things are getting a bit too complicated if a manufacturer has to issue THIRTY TWO TSBs on a single system  ... that THEY created ... :uhoh:

Agreed.  Needs to go back to simple.  Just bought SpeedQueen washer and dryer with pull to start control and zero electronics....old school simple baby! Tired of buying stuff that's engineered to fail after a few years.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, tboris said:

Just bought a 2018 Colorado Z71. When backing up at night, the backup screen is so bright, I cannot see the right side mirror. 

This is a safety hazard. How do I turn down the display brightness when in reverse?

The dim scroll button to the left of the steering wheel dims the dash and display during driving, but put it in reverse and the display goes to full brightness.

This is an accident waiting to happen!

Colorado and Canyon 2018 HAVE A DIFFERENT TSB than the Silverado/Sierra.  Don't walk into your dealer with the Silverado/Sierra number as it does NOT apply.

All you can do with your Colorado is go to the dealer and document per the PI below that is SPECIFIC to Colorado/Canyon.  There is no fix yet, but engineering is evaluating.

Just came out yesterday:

PIT5592: Rear Camera Screen Bright at Night - Oct 31, 2017

IO5/IO6 

Some customers may comment that the rear camera display is too bright at night.

This condition may be caused by a software anomaly.

If this concern is encountered, check for codes and evaluate rear camera operation by covering and uncovering the ambient light sensor while at a stop and in reverse to determine if the display stays bright when covered.  If the display stays bright and there are no related codes to diagnose, do not replace any parts as engineering is currently evaluating the concern. If a service fix is released, a service bulletin will be released/updated with repair instructions.

24 minutes ago, jhbrennan said:

I have the same issue on a 2017 Yukon Denali.  I asked the dealer to apply 17-NA-269 and was told that it didn't apply to my car since I have RSE and that the camera was working as it is supposed to.  I'll take it back in one dark morning and show them that the camera is worthless at night - completely washed out.

The picture being washed out doesn't have anything to do with the screen brightness. That would have to do with the sensor in the camera. Small camera sensors are not good in low light situations. I would make sure the camera lens isn't fogged or scratched. Other than that, your issue will most likely be resolved with better reverse lights. No software update will fix a hardware issue

1 hour ago, 8lugmafia said:

The picture being washed out doesn't have anything to do with the screen brightness. That would have to do with the sensor in the camera. Small camera sensors are not good in low light situations. I would make sure the camera lens isn't fogged or scratched. Other than that, your issue will most likely be resolved with better reverse lights. No software update will fix a hardware issue

The car is new and the screen is as clear as my HD TV in normal light conditions - it's only at night that the screen is washed out.  Doubt a brighter reverse bulb will fix this.  The GM bulletin fixes something related to screen brightness just not on my car according to the dealer.  I'll continue pursuing this.  And software can fix hardware issues - happens all the time.

1 hour ago, jhbrennan said:

It's more than being washed out.  It's the screen being so bright you can't even see out of the cab.  Imagine a spotlight being shined in your eyes.  If you turn your head to look out the windows, there is so much glare on the glass that you can't see out.  

I haven't gotten mine fixed yet, waiting for my oil change to combine trips, but my understanding is that TSB #17-na-269 helps, but not completely fixes it.  

12 minutes ago, jhbrennan said:

The car is new and the screen is as clear as my HD TV in normal light conditions - it's only at night that the screen is washed out.  Doubt a brighter reverse bulb will fix this.  The GM bulletin fixes something related to screen brightness just not on my car according to the dealer.  I'll continue pursuing this.  And software can fix hardware issues - happens all the time.

If the picture is clear in the daytime, and washed out at night, it means your camera's sensor is not good for low light. No software update will fix your hardware issue. Look into better reverse lights to make a more well-lit area that your camera can function in. You can pursue this with GM all you want. They aren't going to install a better camera in your vehicle

Edit: maybe I'm not being clear... if GM installed small sensors in these cameras, they will not be good for low light. You seem to be experiencing that. New lights will light up the area more

2 minutes ago, Nick The Great said:

It's more than being washed out.  It's the screen being so bright you can't even see out of the cab.  Imagine a spotlight being shined in your eyes.  If you turn your head to look out the windows, there is so much glare on the glass that you can't see out.  

I haven't gotten mine fixed yet, waiting for my oil change to combine trips, but my understanding is that TSB #17-na-269 helps, but not completely fixes it.  

He's talking about not being able to see what's on his screen bc the camera apparently sucks.

I had this exact problem with my 2017 Sierra. GM finally releases an update on August 22nd and I had it fixed. Its a safety issue for sure. My cab was so bright I couldn’t see out my side mirrors at night

How do you have the vehicle updated to the new update?

Archived