Ls 6.0 starter failing?

corneredge

Question

15 answers to this question

OP didn't say how many miles were on his truck, I assume a lot and the starter was just plum wore out. I do want to pass on an old man's observations and advice tho. Under hood temps are sky high on modern vehicles with crowded engine bays and air dams and such to try and eek out a little more mpg compared to vehicles of old. When possible do your hoses, serpentine belt, and yes the starter and alternator a favor and pop the hood to let some of that heat out, especially after a long pull with a load or trailer even if it's only a few minutes at a rest stop. I realize this is not always practical, e.g. after you've arrived at work or when you go into a store or such. I've been doing this for years, even with the wife's grocery getter, and although I can't quantify it I'm sure it has saved me a lot of maintenance costs and inconvenient breakdowns.  

Before condemning the starter, try swapping another relay in the crank relay's place in the underhood fuse block. It won't cost you anything to try, but if that's all it is, it'll save you $$$ on a new starter.

I didn't have time to watch the vid, so I didn't hear how bad (or not bad) it is - just going on what  you typed.

Are starters disposable? Serviceable? Can’t the brushes be replaced? Bearings? Etc.....
Finding a place to rebuild one is hard, it's a dying art. There were no less than five "alternator" shops near my folks place twenty years ago, not one remains.

It's just as cheap to buy a reman or even new sometimes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Hoginedgewood said:

Are starters disposable? Serviceable? Can’t the brushes be replaced? Bearings? Etc.....

These days everything gets thrown in the trash and replaced.

For myself, I use this place alot, mostly for alternators, but you can do some starters too: http://rebuilderinabox.com

8 hours ago, corneredge said:

For the record this truck has 165k miles and a lot of towing and daily driving year round. Starter lasted twice as long as the old 350...they went every 80k like clockwork

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I've got to admit, that's one area GM improved in.

Now if only they could remember how to build engines, we'd be in good shape.  :sigh:

The bigger the motor the harder it is on the starters.  I had a  big block in a 76 Malibu a very long long long time ago. It blew every starter until I put one I took off of a diesel garbage truck and used two batteries to crank it.  No trick performance parts back the 80's.. The game then was big engines in light cars ha ha.

Before condemning the starter, try swapping another relay in the crank relay's place in the underhood fuse block. It won't cost you anything to try, but if that's all it is, it'll save you $$$ on a new starter.

I didn't have time to watch the vid, so I didn't hear how bad (or not bad) it is - just going on what  you typed.
If you watch the vid it really sounds starter related. I will check the relay too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Archived