2017 Eassisst Silverado Gear options?

I recently bought a 2017 Chevy Silverado CrewCab with the 5.3L Eassisst package which comes with a 8spd transmission and 3.08 rear gear ratio. Does anyone know if there are any issues in changing the gear ratio in this model? I know they don't offer any other gear option from the factory, so does that mean it's not possible?

I am about to buy a 5th wheel trailer around 9500lbs and i wanted to switch to the 3.73 gears for better towing, even considering buying the whole 9.76 max trailering axle assembly and selling the 3.08 axle if it is possible. Thanks

15 minutes ago, chevyww1936 said:

I recently bought a 2017 Chevy Silverado CrewCab with the 5.3L Eassisst package which comes with a 8spd transmission and 3.08 rear gear ratio. Does anyone know if there are any issues in changing the gear ratio in this model? I know they don't offer any other gear option from the factory, so does that mean it's not possible?

I am about to buy a 5th wheel trailer around 9500lbs and i wanted to switch to the 3.73 gears for better towing, even considering buying the whole 9.76 max trailering axle assembly and selling the 3.08 axle if it is possible. Thanks

Wow, that's something you want to tackle with a 3/4 ton Son!  Not something you want to be pulling more than a short trip couple times a year with the 5.3 1/2 ton......That is how people get hurt or pay huge repair bills....

I'd bet it doesn't have 3.08's.  

You can check the codes in the label in the glove box to determine what is installed. 

GU5 = 3.08

GU5 = 3.23

GU6 = 3.42

GT4 = 3.73

You've bought the wrong truck for a 9500lbs trailer.  Also, a crew cab short box, the only body style the e-Assist trucks come in, can't run a 5th wheel due to the bed size.

Trade it for an HD. 

1 hour ago, ChevyRoofer said:

E-Assists are all 2WD
All E-Assists come with the 3.08 read and 8-spd transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E Assist is available 2wd and 4wd. 

NEW!  LT eAssist Package, includes (L8B) 5.3L V8 eAssist engine, (M5X) 8-speed automatic eAssist transmission, (UF2) LED Lighting, cargo box and (5JY) soft-folding tonneau cover, LPO
1 - Only available to order by California, Hawaii, Oregon, Texas and Washington eAssist Dealers. Requires C*15543 Crew Cab model and either (PDU) All Star Edition or (PDA) Texas Edition. 2WD model includes (GU4) 3.08 rear axle ratio and (C5Z) 7,200 lbs. GVWR. 4WD models requires (GU6) 3.42 rear axle ratio, (RD2) 20" chrome wheels, (QSS) P275/55R20 all-season, blackwall tires and includes (C6C) 7,400 lbs. GVWR. Not available with any free flow options other than (K05) engine block heater and (VK3) front license plate kit.

30 minutes ago, newdude said:

You've bought the wrong truck for a 9500lbs trailer.  Also, a crew cab short box, the only body style the e-Assist trucks come in, can't run a 5th wheel due to the bed size.

Trade it for an HD. 

E Assist is available 2wd and 4wd. 

Is this for 2018s only?  Didn't think they had 4WD drives in 2016-2017 E-assists. 

1 hour ago, ChevyRoofer said:

Is this for 2018s only?  Didn't think they had 4WD drives in 2016-2017 E-assists. 

Right from the 2017 order guide:  http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2017&regionID=1&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=20064&section=oi_def&page=6&butID=3

Also, E-Assist is 2017-2018, no 2016. 

For what it would cost you to regear this truck is probably pretty close to what you would lose on your current truck trading it in. And then you'll have a lot more truck as well that can easily handle your trailer

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's 2wd, and Hurricane Harvey hit and we needed a trailer, after i already bought the truck a week before. I just need to know if it's physically possible to run the 3.73 gears with that Eassisst on the truck and it being the 8spd transmission, since Chevy only offers Eassisst with 3.08 and 8spd trans. I know its not a true hybrid, its the standard 5.3l V8 with a generator and i think lithium batteries, but i don't know if it will effect how it charges or uses that battery power with i swap gears.

30 minutes ago, chevyww1936 said:

It's 2wd, and Hurricane Harvey hit and we needed a trailer, after i already bought the truck a week before. I just need to know if it's physically possible to run the 3.73 gears with that Eassisst on the truck and it being the 8spd transmission, since Chevy only offers Eassisst with 3.08 and 8spd trans. I know its not a true hybrid, its the standard 5.3l V8 with a generator and i think lithium batteries, but i don't know if it will effect how it charges or uses that battery power with i swap gears.

Swap gears all you want (not sure I would being an eAssist) but you are still over weight and a crew cab short box CANNOT run a 5th wheel due to the short box (cab will be destroyed by the trailer). 

You need more truck for a 9500lbs 5th wheel. 

Archived