2015 GMC Sierra cold start squeak

Hello All, 

I am new to the forums here and feel this would be a great place to get some info..

On my 2015 Sierra 1500 5.3L (23,000 miles) there is an interesting squeal/squeak noise that I hear on cold starts in the mornings.

When the engine is warm or once the weather warms up throughout the day, the start up squeak is gone.   

It's been going on at least twice a week for the past year and it hasn't really bugged me until now. 

It could possibly be the belt or a pulley..

I am very well aware of the natural noises that these direct injection engines make (the ticking of the injectors, the cranking sound on start up, etc).

I will put up a link to my youtube video of the truck making the noise. (Hopefully the link works). The squeal is right at the 4 second mark. 

Truck is under warranty and the guys down at my dealership are good to work with so if I have to bring it in I will..

I would just like to not have to deal with coordinating my schedule, obtaining a loaner, etc.. 

Any input would be great.. 

Thanks everyone!!!

• 1 month later...

Most of them do that. It's not hurting anything. Some say it's the starter mechanism staying engaged slightly to long and others say it's the oil pump working harder due to the oil being thicker in the cold.

A local mechanic who I trust very much said not to worry about it and that it's a normal sound on most Chevy's (especially 5.3) for the last decade.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Archived