Installation of DVD / Blu Ray System

I've search through the search bar for DVD and nothing came up. Has anyone attempted to install a DVD/Blu Ray system for back passengers, preferably with screens on the headrest of front passengers? 

If so, could you guys guide me through this?

40 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

MVI offers a kit for that actually; all OEM. 

Can you please direct link to that product because I have been told it doesn't exist and there is no way to make it happen with the factory setup.

2 minutes ago, Rosedog said:

Can you please direct link to that product because I have been told it doesn't exist and there is no way to make it happen with the factory setup.

Or you could call/text them or search here as they have posted it previously ;) 

43 minutes ago, moreyg1228 said:

I've search through the search bar for DVD and nothing came up. Has anyone attempted to install a DVD/Blu Ray system for back passengers, preferably with screens on the headrest of front passengers? 

It would have to be separate from the stock system OR you'd have to go with an aftermarket head unit and then output the video to the headrest displays.

There are 9 different headrest DVD kits available depending on whether or not you have cloth or leather, what color, and if your truck is a High Country or Denali.  All are listed on the chevroletaccessories.com and/or gmcaccessories.com websites.

I have not done an installation on a Silverado / Sierra but I did install them on my 2010 Yukon Denali.  It wasn't particularly difficult.  Biggest issue on that truck was removing the seatback panels which break easily.  (I broke one getting it off).  The newer trucks have zippers which give access to the inside of the seat.

I installed a set on a previous Tahoe.  As parthery said, it's not hard.  The thing I didn't like is that they are separate from the factory system, other than being able to broadcast over FM through  the radio.  

However being able to watch two different things at the same time was nice.  

On 10/20/2017 at 12:22 PM, moreyg1228 said:

MVI? I googled MVI and came up with the video format... lol sorry for the ignorance

On 10/20/2017 at 1:01 PM, GTPprix said:

Or you could call/text them or search here as they have posted it previously ;) 

On 10/20/2017 at 1:02 PM, Rosedog said:

Thanks for nothing ;)

GTPprix, I was thinking of you yesterday.  On a completely unrelated matter I came across a video by them (MVI) in what I think you're talking about:

Unfortunately they don't have this ability for headrest (yet) according to them.  It looks very intensive but I could see this working great with the Cadillac rear view camera.  I'll admit I'm very interested in the headrest option if they get that working.  I personally would not want the drop down in my silverado.  We have one in my wifes tahoe and that is good enough.

On 10/20/2017 at 12:17 PM, moreyg1228 said:

Moreyg1228, I had to reread your original post again.  I thought you were wanting a setup tied directly into the factory head unit.  If not, there is a completely cheaper way than any of these options and gives you more functionality.  You can buy something like this and your down.  Take them out when you're not on taking a road trip or leave them in.   I first came across this by accident last spring while I was in Wal-Mart of all places.  They have a RCA DVD/Android tablet for $100.  I don't remember the model number but I do remember trying to look it up online and couldn't find sqwat about it, even on RCA's website.  It worked as advertised but it was a little to thick for my taste.

https://www.staples.com/Power-Acoustik-Phd-101-103-Universal-Headrest-Monitor-With-DVD-Player-Ir/product_23974502?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:23974502&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=23974502&KPID=23974502&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.TV %26 Streaming Media&cvo_crid=189028389803&cvo_campaign=793245254&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqWgw8eE1wIVDH9-Ch3F-AKoEAQYAiABEgI2W_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  

In the end I decided just to get a pair of Amazon Fire HD 8's for $50 ea.  (Amazon sometimes holds one day sales, normally $80 ea.).  I have them setup with a password that the family can use and have other apps locked out.  When I buy DVD's, I get the copy with digital copy and sync it up to my VUDU account.  Every device gets the movie automatically and they can even be downloaded locally to said device.  I also have other "video mp4" files that I can put on the memory cards.  Then there's netflix...

In the end though it works out better than having something permanently affixed to your vehicle (if you have kids).

On 10/22/2017 at 12:10 PM, Rosedog said:

GTPprix, I was thinking of you yesterday.  On a completely unrelated matter I came across a video by them (MVI) in what I think you're talking about:

Unfortunately they don't have this ability for headrest (yet) according to them.  It looks very intensive but I could see this working great with the Cadillac rear view camera.  I'll admit I'm very interested in the headrest option if they get that working.  I personally would not want the drop down in my silverado.  We have one in my wifes tahoe and that is good enough.

Moreyg1228, I had to reread your original post again.  I thought you were wanting a setup tied directly into the factory head unit.  If not, there is a completely cheaper way than any of these options and gives you more functionality.  You can buy something like this and your down.  Take them out when you're not on taking a road trip or leave them in.   I first came across this by accident last spring while I was in Wal-Mart of all places.  They have a RCA DVD/Android tablet for $100.  I don't remember the model number but I do remember trying to look it up online and couldn't find sqwat about it, even on RCA's website.  It worked as advertised but it was a little to thick for my taste.

https://www.staples.com/Power-Acoustik-Phd-101-103-Universal-Headrest-Monitor-With-DVD-Player-Ir/product_23974502?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:23974502&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=23974502&KPID=23974502&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.TV %26 Streaming Media&cvo_crid=189028389803&cvo_campaign=793245254&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqWgw8eE1wIVDH9-Ch3F-AKoEAQYAiABEgI2W_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  

In the end I decided just to get a pair of Amazon Fire HD 8's for $50 ea.  (Amazon sometimes holds one day sales, normally $80 ea.).  I have them setup with a password that the family can use and have other apps locked out.  When I buy DVD's, I get the copy with digital copy and sync it up to my VUDU account.  Every device gets the movie automatically and they can even be downloaded locally to said device.  I also have other "video mp4" files that I can put on the memory cards.  Then there's netflix...

In the end though it works out better than having something permanently affixed to your vehicle (if you have kids).

Going the tablet route is not a bad option, but what I was hoping was maybe one that accepts DVDs because we have tons of older DVDs from Disney movies. I was hoping there was on already where you can run from the dvd player in the main and display on the two headrest since I have two kids who can watch same thing. 

On 10/23/2017 at 10:57 AM, moreyg1228 said:

Going the tablet route is not a bad option, but what I was hoping was maybe one that accepts DVDs because we have tons of older DVDs from Disney movies. I was hoping there was on already where you can run from the dvd player in the main and display on the two headrest since I have two kids who can watch same thing. 

Unfortunately that is not going to happen with the stock system anytime soon unless MVI comes out with an option.  Even then it might be cost prohibitive compared to an aftermarket headunit and aftermarket headrest displays.

If you're stuck on rear DVD players, then that option from Staples/Wal-Mart should work just fine.  Going the tablet only route is the cheapest and easiest method.  Its extremely easy to rip a movie to MP4 and place it on a memory card.  Plus it helps save the DVD's from getting scratched up from the kids.

Archived