exhaust on a budget

looking to make my 5.3 significantly louder than stock without going to straight pipes or muffler deleting. I've looked at the flow master 10 but am concerned about longevity. another other suggestions for louder sub 200$ mufflers? also most likely going to have the exhaust dump after the axel but considering a turndown right after the muffler, which one would be better?

looking to make my 5.3 significantly louder than stock without going to straight pipes or muffler deleting. I've looked at the flow master 10 but am concerned about longevity. another other suggestions for louder sub 200$ mufflers? also most likely going to have the exhaust dump after the axel but considering a turndown right after the muffler, which one would be better?
Look into Carven the R series is louder than the TR the mufflers themselves are right around 100.00 I have the TR and love it. It will be louder if you dump it right after the muffler.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I second looking into the Carven R. I have one on my 5.3 and love it. If not in a rush to buy one you can wait for Thanksgiving next month and buy it then. Last year they had a sale on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Cut the muffler off and install a Carven R. If you want it louder, delete the resonator and do a dump after the axle. If you still want more sound, dump after the Carven.

Before you spend one nickel.

cut the pipe before the muffler and just after the flapper valve. Pull the muffler down and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. Leave all the resonators alone. Just do this one thing. It is basically a free mod. It sounds good without being too loud, similar to a Craven or Aero muffler to my ear. 

It it is the least invasive. Removing the muffler is the first step to replacing it anyway.  Doesn’t hurt to give it a try. 

A 15 Silverado with a 5.3 came in the shop the other day and I noticed it was a little louder than stock.  I was amazed when I looked underneath that both the muffler and resonator have been deleted and the flapper was still there.  This thing was relatively quiet.  If I wasn't standing next to it I wouldn't have noticed it was modified. 

A 15 Silverado with a 5.3 came in the shop the other day and I noticed it was a little louder than stock.  I was amazed when I looked underneath that both the muffler and resonator have been deleted and the flapper was still there.  This thing was relatively quiet.  If I wasn't standing next to it I wouldn't have noticed it was modified. 
That's weird. The truck was basically straight piped and it wasn't loud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Weird, I did a muffler delete only, l later put a magaflo on it to quiet it back down a bit. It was quite tame at cruising but you heard it, get on it was noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just deleted my muffler and flapper today but left the resonator. Absolutely love it. Muffler shop charged me $59 and it took all of 20 minutes. 

V4 is noticeable but nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. I already drive in M5 around town and plan to get a range/tune to disable AFM anyway.

I put a Magnaflow 12229 in my ‘14 LT cc 5.3. Sounds great at start up and when I get on it. Flapper open. No drone at all, and no get to dee choppa noises in v4 either. 

Inlet size for a 6.2 is 3.5 inches.  If you are looking for subtle exhaust tone like you mentioned before either a Magnaflow 12909 or Flowmaster 53553 will work.  Just have exhaust shop measure twice and cut off stock muffler and flapper valve.  The 12909 welds right up since it is the correct offset.   YMMV with the Flowmaster depending on who does the work.  Magnaflow is less coin as well.

So what seems to be the better option...deleting the stock muffler or both the stock muffler and flapper?  Which causes more drone chop?  Are they both going to result in the same noise increase?

If I do either of them and dont like it can a shop return it to stock easily or will there be a noticeable change in tune when returned to stock?

Archived