Chevyguy00

Ruger American Rifle

Does anyone have a ruger american rifle? How do you like it? Thinking of getting one in 30-06

I have one in .308. I'm pretty pleased with it, for the price point. I'm sure there are nicer at higher prices, but mine does its job. Here's an image from the last time I had it out. 100yds on a 1 inch sighting target from a bipod and cheap glass. Could use some finer tuning but its pretty close and happy with the grouping.693c301a19d037f3a8cba9efdad23ffb.jpg

Nice grouping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, compared to that Remington 270 I have that throws every fourth shot, that's a nice grouping.

I'm looking to get my daughter a rifle, and that Ruger is one I'm considering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I would not hesitate to get the Ruger. But Academy has a Savage with better features for under $500.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would not hesitate to get the Ruger. But Academy has a Savage with better features for under $500.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have several Savage, I would not hesitate to buy one...I have a 116 in 375 Ruger that will group a three-shot dime at 100 yards.

The Axis is another one I'm considering.

I have a Ruger Precision Rifle which is kind of the American in a chassis system. Shoots great.

Also have a Tikka Varmint in a chassis system. It shoots just as well but the overall build quality is IMHO better...but it's more money too.

Ruger is a fine weapon, but that stock and handle me feels cheap...I don't like the hard plastic at all...but I am willing to bet, based off of my other Rugers, it will go BANG every time.  I would strongly encourage you to look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2...sub MOA out of the box...it is a little more, but definitely in the same range of 'affordable' bolt action rifles...

I bought a Ruger American this weekend in 243 Winchester.

I was looking at an entry grade rifle for my daughter, handled both an Axis and an American, American felt better in every aspect from bolt smoothness and trigger pull to the ease of inserting and releasing the magazine...and thinking of a kid, the stock is thinner and should be easier to handle.

Ordered brass and some Barnes 85gr TSX bullets to work up a load.

They seem to have dropped the Accu-trigger in the Axis line of Savage rifles...and that is one feature I really like about my 116 in 375 Ruger. The American has something similar to the Accu-trigger, hopefully it's as functional.

Probably be a couple weeks before we put any rounds through it.

Update...ran five handloads through this new rifle, best group was under the size of a quarter at 100yds, worst was the size of a 50 cent piece. And that was just throwing some loads together to see what it would do...I think there is lots of room to tighten that up even more. Lightened the trigger up just a touch, and that should also help.

Also bought a compact stock for my daughter which is slightly shorter.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'm impressed with the OP's pic.  That's a heck of a good group out of a hunting rifle.  Even with handloads and tuning work on the gun.

Sounds like Steve's daughter has a good one too.

It's been a lot of years since I had a bolt gun at the bench.  The last time was with a then new Winchester Pre-62 style claw extractor, that had a BOSS barrel tuning weight.  That bore looked awful with a borescope or loop, but it shot some 5 shot groups around 1/4-3/8" regularly, with a little work on the gun and some handloads.