Best HID System conversion that is NOT from TRS?

I have a 2015 Sierra with projector lights that came with terrible factory light output with the stock bulbs.  I went with the Sierra spec kit from The Retrofit source and have had nothing but bad issues with it.  I received the kit without instructions, so I had to wait for instructions to arrive.  The "instructions" include a one picture diagram of how everything connects, but gives no information on where everything should be tucked or mounted into.  I went through an entire roll of electrical tape, and had to purchase 2 packs of zip ties to complete the project, only to find out the "Custom Sierra Spec Kit" still came with plugs and wires dangling around that didn't plug into anything.

I went with the 35w 6500k lights and the light output is average.  Unlike cheaper sets, they do not flicker and they do turn on when I hit the unlock button on the keyfob at night.  Less than a month after install, the entire system fried itself while I was driving home in the dark.  Luckily, the LED projector lights I got from them provided me enough light to get home.  I was back and forth with them for 4 weeks before they FINALLY sent me a full new system.  They wanted me to troubleshoot every single part on the system.  I did not have a voltage meter to measure the output, and they also wanted me to pay for return shipping before they would send out the new components.  They finally just sent me a whole new system, and I requested the 50w ballasts this time, and even said I would pay the difference if necessary.  I was sent the 35w ballasts again, and at this point, I was so sick of dealing with them.  Entire kit takes roughly 4 hours to install (most of the time is spent figuring out how to neatly tuck away the rat's nest of cables and wires) and tape the connections, and zip tie the wires to something.  After about 10 months of using them, the driver's side bulb went out, leaving me to replace it with the factory bulb in the pouring rain.

I've had enough of this crappy system.  I want to know what is the best HID system out there that will work with my existing headlight housings.  I want better light, and something that will run without issues for 3-5 years unlike this overpriced garbage.  

In all reality, I blame GM for putting 1970s lighting technology into a 2015 truck.  I hope the next gen trucks are 100% LED's all around kinda like the new Fords and their quad beam headlights too.

I had a 2015 before the current 2016.

Yes they were horrible. 

There is/was an update available for the 2015's.  included different bulbs and programming to run them at a higher voltage.  Definite improvement, but still not as nice as the '11 it replaced.  

My current truck has the 2016 LED option.In my view they are definitely worth the extra cost (when mine was built they were a 'mandatory' option.  I have't been in  2016 with the 2016 standard lighting.

There are write-ups of putting the 2016 1500LED system into a 2500. 

Seems likely that the could also be put into a 2015 1500. 

Anybody have more info about doing this change?

I used to have those retrofit headlights too and has the exact same issue and picked up a new set and couldn't get them working, got to the point where I prettymuch gave up hid' s then talked to the local guy I deal with for headlights and led' s and he created a canbus kit for our truck's, plugged it all in no wiring all across the truck and hooking up grounds just plugging into the factory Input and adding the ballasts and worked right away. Definitely a reputable company and a guy I trust and he does a ton of headlight builds and stuff in Canada and is known
www.esskcustoms.com

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I've been using xenondepot.com for my HID source for years now.  Four vehicles over the course of 10+ years.  Always happy, never a problem and customer service is TOP notch.  They have a plug and play anti-flicker kit.  I have their Phillips 4300k bulbs in my projectors and the 3000k in my fog lights.

It took me an hour tops to install the HD relay harness. It’s pretty simple. No issues with my TRS hids. 

Keep in in mind if they all came with oem led headlights, it’ll get expensive fast when you have a bulb out. 

Yeah I got the 2015 bulb and programming update and didn't notice a difference, and I have stellar vision.  I am doing the warranty claim under TRS to get the ballast and igniter replaced that went bad... the bulb was actually fine.  I'd rather have an OEM LED setup that lasted and didn't require modification and just buy new bulbs as necessary.  Not to mention cutting your hands up trying to wiggle them into the tight spaces that all the bulbs and wires are.  

I see they are now putting "HID" kits into the heavy duty trucks, but I haven't tested them out to see how well they are.  I have driven the 2016+ with LED lights and they are definitely better than stock, but not sure how they would stack up to a real HID kit.  I also don't like how I have a rat's nest of wiring in the air intake box right in front of my cold air intake filter.  There is literally nowhere else to put it though.  I'll probably wait for the 2019+ model before just trading/selling this truck.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can only add that I do love my Morimoto HID kit. 35w 5500k set up. That said, I have had a intermittent bulb out issue that’s a hassle due to having to take it apart to ‘jiggle it’.

Otherwise, it’s been generally flawless with GREAT light out put for the past year I’ve owned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with the OP.  I dumped my Morimoto kit in my 14 SLT for a set of OEM 16-17 LED headlights.  Too many relay and bulb issues over the years. I needed reliability for my hunting and commuting vehicle. Waiting for replacement parts from TRS on the other side of the country is no way to maintain transportation.  It may be fine for a toy hobby car.  

2 hours ago, Spurshot said:

I’m with the OP.  I dumped my Morimoto kit in my 14 SLT for a set of OEM 16-17 LED headlights.  Too many relay and bulb issues over the years. I needed reliability for my hunting and commuting vehicle. Waiting for replacement parts from TRS on the other side of the country is no way to maintain transportation.  It may be fine for a toy hobby car.  

That’s a pretty big price difference though. $200 vs $1200

Archived