Rock Chips on Hood

Just noticed a few rock chips on the hood. I was looking online and I might just have to get a paint pen and try to fill the chips.  Anyone have any recommendations on fixing the chips. Any recommendations or tips are much appreciated :) 

Look up Dr. ColorChip. It's a simple to use system for around $40 and it'll fill in hundreds of chips. I have yet to use it on this truck, but I did on my previous vehicles and they came out perfect. Even up close you could not tell where the chip was unless you remembered where you filled it in. Just need to put in your year, make, and model and it'll show you all the colors for that vehicle.

I also have several chips. I was contemplating using the GM touch-up paint I got with the truck. I have not tried it yet. Is that a good or bad idea?

I had some on mine, you can get  touch up paint from the dealer that is the exact color. It's a pen with a brush on one end and pen on the other, and also has a clear coat to put over it. I have one works well and matches perfect.

And I thought I was inly one with chips on hood and roof !! Damm the paint is thin on these truck only  disapointment is the paint 2017 Black All Terrain 

I have xpel on front of hood but  chips sre farther back I dont drive on gravel roads. I use the GM touch up but chips so small hard to fill and not notice 

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I could use some advice on this topic as well.  There's a couple on my roof too.

I was watching this video last night it looked like a good process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdsw4-8Wy

56 minutes ago, CDNSS said:

And I thought I was inly one with chips on hood and roof !! Damm the paint is thin on these truck only  disapointment is the paint 2017 Black All Terrain 

I have xpel on front of hood but  chips sre farther back I dont drive on gravel roads. I use the GM touch up but chips so small hard to fill and not notice 

Yeah I was cleaning bird poop from my truck last night and I saw it. Pretty bummed about it at only 3000 miles. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, ALSLT said:

I was watching this video last night it looked like a good process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdsw4-8Wy

This is an excellent film. I learned a new tool as well. Thanks for sharing. I'd been using 0000 brushes to fill the tiny ones and it dries as fast as you can load the brush. Lot's of patients required. Dr. Color Chip kits are a good tool for the box.  

You will hear him talk about sanding at the end of the film. I've done some pretty big chips that came out very good. Hiding in plain sight sort of good. 3M makes a foam backed 3000 and 5000 wet dry. I paper punch 2000 wet dry and CA glue to new pencil erasures for spot work. Another Larry trick. Use cold water and a bit of liquid soap to lubricate sanding. A 1" square flat object is good for blending small areas. I found a piece of really hard rubber. Part of something else. 

On new 2K finishes that are sprayed really thin there is always a concern about rubbing through the clear so caution. Don't sit on a spot and don't insist on perfect at 10X magnification under white polarized light. It's a judgment call when its the right time to go that far. Only the detailer looks that close.  Don't forget to reseal and/or wax. 

Last thought. There is no such thing as a chip to small to care about. ANY break in the paint is a toe hold for rust. 

I use to think the 3m protection was ugly, but when I bought my Vette used it had it on it and now I would not have a car or truck with out it! I never get chips on the front and hood anymore, just on the sides now. One of the first things I do when I get a car or truck is get the GM paint pen in the exact color. If you are very careful you can make most disappear. Especially on metallic paint!

On my new High Country they also put 3m up the windshield pillars and also a 8" wide strip on the roof along the top of the windshield.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

This is an excellent film. I learned a new tool as well. Thanks for sharing. I'd been using 0000 brushes to fill the tiny ones and it dries as fast as you can load the brush. Lot's of patients required. Dr. Color Chip kits are a good tool for the box.  

You will hear him talk about sanding at the end of the film. I've done some pretty big chips that came out very good. Hiding in plain sight sort of good. 3M makes a foam backed 3000 and 5000 wet dry. I paper punch 2000 wet dry and CA glue to new pencil erasures for spot work. Another Larry trick. Use cold water and a bit of liquid soap to lubricate sanding. A 1" square flat object is good for blending small areas. I found a piece of really hard rubber. Part of something else. 

On new 2K finishes that are sprayed really thin there is always a concern about rubbing through the clear so caution. Don't sit on a spot and don't insist on perfect at 10X magnification under white polarized light. It's a judgment call when its the right time to go that far. Only the detailer looks that close.  Don't forget to reseal and/or wax. 

Last thought. There is no such thing as a chip to small to care about. ANY break in the paint is a toe hold for rust. 

I'm glad I was of some help! 

I bought some AC Delco touch up paint from Amazon and that brush pen. I will try to work on it Monday and show a before and after picture. Wish me luck!!

1 hour ago, ALSLT said:

I'm glad I was of some help! 

I bought some AC Delco touch up paint from Amazon and that brush pen. I will try to work on it Monday and show a before and after picture. Wish me luck!!

Looking forward to it. Nix luck. Get good. :thumbs:

Archived