Sounds like low octane gas knock

New to this forum, drive a 2014 Sierra Crew Cab 5.3.  Since owning the truck, on acceleration I hear what sounds like the old days bad gas / low octane rattle?  I've run tanks of 87, 89 & 93 octane and it's always there.  I even tried a tank of ethanol free gas and it still  rattles on acceleration.  For those that suggest searching the hundreds of threads....I did, couldn't find what I was looking for, figured it would just be easier to ask.  I did learn a lot about flapper valves and drone noises.  Any help would be great, dealership said they don't hear anything that sounds like what I'm describing....imagine that.  Thanks for the help / info.

Scotty

32 minutes ago, kstruckcountry said:

Is it possible you're hearing the injection system?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is my guess. Higher octane fuel didn't help, right?

:happysad:

@Diyer2.....all octane levels give the rattle.  Leaving work today, radio off, windows up.....I got on it and she was a rattling until I come off the pedal.....if it's the injectors I guess there isn't much you can do.....accept a Cat Back exhaust system!!!  That's what I'm reading up on now :)  Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had something very similar on my '14. It was at the dealer 5-6 times for it and had two of the GM chemical cleans. Eventually went on a ride along with the mechanic while he had his computer hooked up. Had a few misfires that he saw but suggested the rattle noise was from the valves being dirty and I needed to burn them off. Also suggested a catch can. 

I put the can on and began to run the truck harder (hotter) and after 6 months or so I get very little of the rattle. 

The mechanic is a local tuner/engine builder and seemed to know his stuff so I took his advice and it paid off. Hope this helps. 

Archived