Dealer disapointment

Just wanted to vent.

I have 2 free oil changes coming to me.  Called the local dealer to find out if they have a full synthetic available in 5w30 and what it would cost me to use that oil instead of the bulk stuff.  He tells me they have 5w20 Mobil 1.  I tell him the 6.0L takes 5w30.  I ended up arguing for 5 minutes about which gas motor was in my 2017 2500HD.  He was insistent that GM only puts the 6.2L in the 2500HD.  Finally asked him if he had any idea about any of the products GM makes.  No reply.  He then tells me that the only 5w30 they have is GM Dexos.  I started to explain that Dexos was a specification and that GM doesn't make oil.  I stopped after a few seconds, realizing it would not really do any good.  I thanked him and hung up.   

Rant over.  :smash:

It's not like that just at your dealer. I wont hardly take anything back to a dealer weather it's a motorcycle, truck, or car dealer. My oil filter was leaking on my 2017 truck so I went ahead and changed the oil myself at 3000 miles. I had a axle shaft seal that looked like it was leaking so I took it by the dealer. The tech wrote on the paperwork that the customer had spilled oil everywhere while changing oil. No leaks, It was all I could do to not go back and B""""h slap the so called tech.

I had a service writer tell me that I would lose my warranty if I didn’t change my oil every 3K miles. In 06 there wasn’t a GM vehicle that required that. I was driving a Trailblazer SS, that required an oil change between 12-15K. I told him to educate him self in so many words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Another reason why my truck will never go to the dealers service bay, unless it is for a recall, or annual safety inspection.

Absolutely agree!  I have a buddy that lets me use his lift for maintenance myself.  Major warranty is by the dealer.  After warranty it will be a local shop or myself if I have the time to complete the repair.  The dealer treats you like an idiot and I can't stand it.  If they screw something up   "it isn't a problem"  if you do your own oil change.   "the customer spilled oil all over"  typical douchbag type stuff.  My old man was a Dodge mechanic for his entire career.  In my time spent in the dealerships growing up I noticed that the service advisors were completely clueless about car repair and were there to prevent people fron speaking to the mechanics and wasting their time.  If you want to know about your vehicle- find a good local mechanic, use his services, build a relationship and you will know 1000 times more about your vehicles condition than you will from the dealer.  

did you guys notice that every time you take your vehicle in for warranty problems that you are the only one in the whole wide world that has that problem. the service manager treats you as if your an idiot when its the other way around. vehicles are getting more and more electronics and becoming more complicated to repair which is what the dealer likes so that you have to bring it in. I think the auto industry is going back wards. you cant order a truck the way you want it , you have to order all these extra features that make up a package that you pay for and never use. I miss the old days when you ordered what you wanted and nothing else. and when you took your truck in for warranty, they actually helped you

My servicing dealer is not like that at all.

But over the years I've also experienced some that are.

Just like any other business, finding the suppliers (dealers) that you can work with sometimes takes effort.

25 minutes ago, redwngr said:

My servicing dealer is not like that at all.

But over the years I've also experienced some that are.

Just like any other business, finding the suppliers (dealers) that you can work with sometimes takes effort.

Agreed

Yup, did one free change, took 3 hours, they did a recall and the rookie screwed it up so bad a major tech had to come over.  Grease and grime all over it, left a broken bolt on the floor, this recall was for the bolt on the brake pedal.  Never again, I will pay to have an oil change I can watch with people I know and trust in 20 min.  Dealers don't make money selling cars, they make it from service...... but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot.  This drive train and suspension have been around since 1965 so it comes down to electrical, that's where the $50,000 diagnostic machine at the dealer comes in.  My multi meter just can't read an ECM...

Recently my wife's 14 Cruze starting acting up - by dying while driving - no warning just stall and three codes on the DIC. After a few minutes the car could be started. We got it back to our selling dealer and they re-programmed the BCM (selling dealer is over an hour away - long story old friend who works there) Car worked fine for a day and then started stalling again - the final straw was a stall in traffic that almost resulted in an accident - wife pushed the On Star button and got help right away - cops, tow to nearest dealer. Of course when a car comes in on a hook they wonder. The service advisor was already on the car (thanks to On Star) and started the GM troubleshooting routine - they admitted the car started, but they would not drive it too far because they were afraid it would stall on them. The service tech though it was one of the computers either BCM or ECM - but GM made them go through the tree - Battery Cable, Starter Relay - and finally the ECM - which cured the problem. Dealer would not give us the car back until they had really driven it - in fact the starter relay almost fixed it - but they did one more test drive and it stalled.

I am now taking my truck there for the free oil changes - and will probably continue as they are cheaper than Jiffy Lube and they rotate the tires. Plus they use the correct oil and will top off the DEF tank too.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, bobsiding said:

did you guys notice that every time you take your vehicle in for warranty problems that you are the only one in the whole wide world that has that problem. the service manager treats you as if your an idiot when its the other way around. vehicles are getting more and more electronics and becoming more complicated to repair which is what the dealer likes so that you have to bring it in. I think the auto industry is going back wards. you cant order a truck the way you want it , you have to order all these extra features that make up a package that you pay for and never use. I miss the old days when you ordered what you wanted and nothing else. and when you took your truck in for warranty, they actually helped you

yea that annoyed me big time . told the dealer I would end up spending more money ordering my truck if it wasn't for the packages . I refuse to spend thousands on fancy stuff I don't need or want .

To be fair, there are good dealer shops and bad ones.  I find the dealer shops in smaller communities are a little more up to speed on a lot of little things.  They are not assembly line setups like the mega urban dealerships,  just shuffling cars thru the bays all day long, and a high turnover rate of techs for lube services.  Many of the smaller, rural dealerships actually listen to the customer and go the extra mile for them.  I own a Chevy pickup and a Cadillac car, and the only dealer I take my stuff to is a GMC / Buick dealership near me on those rare occurances I need dealer shop type of work.  Most everything else, I do myself or take to a local independent shop.   

16 hours ago, Cowpie said:

To be fair, there are good dealer shops and bad ones.  I find the dealer shops in smaller communities are a little more up to speed on a lot of little things.  They are not assembly line setups like the mega urban dealerships,  just shuffling cars thru the bays all day long, and a high turnover rate of techs for lube services.  Many of the smaller, rural dealerships actually listen to the customer and go the extra mile for them.  I own a Chevy pickup and a Cadillac car, and the only dealer I take my stuff to is a GMC / Buick dealership near me on those rare occurances I need dealer shop type of work.  Most everything else, I do myself or take to a local independent shop.   

X2

Archived