6.2 engine destroyed 25000km

2016 6.2 Denali top end of  motor done with only 25,000km. Roller on lifter ruined and pitted. Needs all lifters replaced and cam is also worn. Anyone else hear of this? Not really impressed at this point. Concerned of future reliability. Normal driving conditions and oil changes. 

not sure why it is black writing. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks to be known issue.

Condition

Some customers may comment on a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on and/or an engine misfire/tick noise.

Technicians may find DTC P0300 set or in history.

Cause

This may be the result of an active fuel management (AFM) lifter that is mechanically collapsed and/or stuck all of the time.

This may be the result of internal locking pin damage in the lifter, due to oil aeration.

This may be the result of a lifter that has collapsed and is stuck in the lifter bore.

Correction

Note: Inspect the camshaft for damage while the lifters are removed from the engine. If damage is found, replace the camshaft per SI.

If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, technicians should inspect for valve operation.

If the valve(s) are not moving, replace the valve lifter oil manifold and affected bank of AFM lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Replacement and Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

If the lifter has spun the bore, the guides should also be replaced.

Lots of engines are rebuilt daily. 

Some under warranty, some not.

They are better built than years ago IMO.

The top end is the easy part to fix IMO.

:happysad:

1 hour ago, Knotsure said:

I am over 87,000 miles still runs great.

Op, your truck is under warranty still, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes still under warranty. Just concerned about future reliability. The most worn lifter was a solid one without the spring i'm assuming this was a non AFM one. Not familiar with internals of new engine.   Also I'm sure metal went through the bottom end. 

I chuckled when I saw op's choice of signature picture when thinking about his engine issue.  There is still lots of warranty available and he can expect many more miles of trouble free, "normal" driving.  

Archived