2016 Silverado 3500 HD Michelin Truck tires

Rando

I purchased a new 2016 Chevy Silverado in December of 2016.  The truck has 12,000 miles on it and I noticed the outer 1 1/2" of tread is almost gone on all the tires.  It looks like Michelin built them that way, but I'm wondering:  What is going to happen when that remaining outer tread is gone and I still have a lot of tread left in between?  Why did they design a tire like this?  I know the Michelin guys are smarter than that. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been extremely fond of Michelin's on my heavy commercial trucks, but I found myself inventing new swear words about the Michelin's that came on my 2500.  I got rid of them and put on BFG KO2's.  And it had nothing to do with looks.  It was all about functionality.   Even the ride and handling were greatly improved with the KO2's.   

Side note, running the OEM recommended air pressures in the tires when empty could be part of the problem.  That OEM pressure recommend is when the truck is at max GVWR.   On my 2500, I follow more closely to the tire OEM recommended pressure based on load on the tire. For my 2500 when empty, that is about 50 psi front, 45 psi rear.   Ride is greatly improved, handling much better, and tire wear more uniform.    I air them up accordingly if I will be loading the truck down.

Archived