Just bought a 2016 Sierra All Terrain 3 days ago, need help

Hey everyone, 

First off, I bought a 2016 Sierra All Terrain, fully loaded, black on black - its BEAUTIFUL and everything I have wanted in a truck, with only 20k miles.

So yesterday, I was driving down the road at a slower speed, and the transmission made an awful and loud vibrating sound, that lasted for about 5 seconds. In that time, the check engine light came on, and so did a light on the right side of the cluster, but I dont recall exactly what it said because I was focusing on the sound. The light on the right(believe it was the ATC light) turned off immediately, but the check engine remained on until this morning. The codes that Onstar gave me were P0700, U0073 and U0100. These are just basic codes it seems. 

I have a bumper to bumper, and 100k powertrain warranty, and an appointment is scheduled for Monday at my local GMC dealer. 

My question is this....

The light is now off, and it has ran fine since the incident. The dealer said that I will have to pay a $140 diagnostic fee if they find nothing wrong. My guess is they find nothing wrong since the light went out and its running fine. What should I do? let it go, or eat the $140 incase they find something, which we know they probably wont. Or is this a common problem?

Thanks

It should store the code. Can't guarantee that though. Best of luck. Seems kind of shtty for the dealer to treat you like that.

Scan it yourself at an auto parts store but don't clear it if you find one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You should not have to pay anything if it's under factory warranty. I have never heard of a dealer wanting to charge you under warranty. Maybe no way to check it if it's running fine and no check engine light on. But they should still have no problem looking  it for you.

2 minutes ago, tbmaciii said:

I have the stored codes, but GMC told me that they were just generic codes and that since the truck is running fine, then they wouldn’t be able to find any issues. 

Agree

:happysad:

You shouldn't have to pay a diagnostic fee if they don't find anything.  If that's the case, find a different dealer.  My truck had a check engine light on then it went off. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything.  They never charged me.  Light same in a second time, then went off again.  Took it back in and they found one of the active shutters behind the grille was out if alignment.  Point is if you have had a CEL and have stored codes then there was something wrong.  Generally problems just don't just magically fix themselves.

Truck is under 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so no fees should apply unless truck is rebuilt/salvage or had the powertrain warranty voided previously.   If they want to charge you find another dealership. 

Seems as tho I recall some people having weird and sudden issues that come and go like yours . It very well could be bad ground on your negative battery terminal like some found. Just a thought .
My battery was dying and the truck did a ton of weird stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

OP, did you ever resolve this issue?  Have the codes popped up again at all?

This weekend my truck threw the P0700 and U0100 codes.  I read them with my Scangauge, and cleared them to see if they would come back on (they didn't).  I took it to the dealership this morning, and the service advisor is telling me that there is nothing that can be done since I cleared the codes.  Next time it happens I'll make sure not to clear them.  Aside from the typical clunky shifting I normally experience with this truck, it seems to be running ok.

Archived