2014 Sierra, about to give up on this truck

Kevbo

I have been a chevy man since I was 16 driving a z71 until I was 28 when I messed up and trades for a JEEP. Now I traded and got a crew cab 4x4 none z71 Sierra. This thing is a gas guzzling Turd. I drive 48 miles each way to work ( 80% highway 15% interstate 5% city). I average less than 14.5 mpg. I thought these ecotech motors where suppose to get a couple more MPG than what I'm seeing. I have nitro ridge grapplers and a leveling kit but I can not believe it made the fuel economy that bad. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try I'm open for anything.  I'm about to the point where I'm going to get rid of it. 

• 3 weeks later...
I have been a chevy man since I was 16 driving a z71 until I was 28 when I messed up and trades for a JEEP. Now I traded and got a crew cab 4x4 none z71 Sierra. This thing is a gas guzzling Turd. I drive 48 miles each way to work ( 80% highway 15% interstate 5% city). I average less than 14.5 mpg. I thought these ecotech motors where suppose to get a couple more MPG than what I'm seeing. I have nitro ridge grapplers and a leveling kit but I can not believe it made the fuel economy that bad. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try I'm open for anything.  I'm about to the point where I'm going to get rid of it. 

I’m leveled and running 285/70/17 E-rated KO2s. You’re also leveled running an all terrain tire.

What size tires are you running? Maybe switch to a LT tire depending on your current size?

Are you in stop and go traffic a lot?

Is your front valence still attached to the bottom of your front bumper?

Do you have any extra cab/bed weight you’re carrying?

Currently I average 18 mpg with 70% highway/30% city driving. With straight highway I’m at 20-21 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to this forum. I will start by suggesting that 14.5 mpg is not worthy of a  "a gas guzzling Turd" designation.  It sounds like you have issues with your choice of trucks.   If you are serious about improving fuel economy I'd start by getting your truck checked over by a competent GM mechanic.  If your truck is operating properly then go online and check for driving tips to improve fuel economy.  I'd also take a look at tires.  If your tires are larger than factory or load range E, this will negatively impact your mpg.  

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Welcome to this forum. I will start by suggesting that 14.5 mpg is not worthy of a  "a gas guzzling Turd" designation.  It sounds like you have issues with your choice of trucks.   If you are serious about improving fuel economy I'd start by getting your truck checked over by a competent GM mechanic.  If your truck is operating properly then go online and check for driving tips to improve fuel economy.  I'd also take a look at tires.  If your tires are larger than factory or load range E, this will negatively impact your mpg.  

Another moder that complains about mileage.

:happysad:

So... you modified your truck by putting on heavy off road tires and changing the ride height and complain it's not the same anymore?

Those tires are notorious for killing mileage.  Changing the ride height will increase wind resistance.

And we also have no idea how you drive... heavy foot =  gas guzzling

Return it to stock, drive it carefully, and you will get the advertised mpg of 16 city 22 highway.

If that isn't good enough... and you  really  want good mileage, you could always trade for a Prius :P

If you really want to get better MPGs just turn on the "ECO" button... then you should easily see over 30 MPGs.... oh wait that button is on the Sentra my wife drives... I think you might be S.O.L. on better gas mileage....:nopity:

I also have a '14 with the 5.3. I have a 2.5in level with 275/65. You need to be recalibrated for the larger tire, I also have a tune from Diablew, run 89 octane and I see 20-21 mpg running 65-67 mph down the highway. Every day stop and go, with some back roads highways mixed in my average over the last 500 miles is 17.8. I do not have a heavy foot with the truck though, that is what the 5.0 is for :thumbs:

Alright putting all the joking/poking at you up above at side, you have several things hurting you.

The tires-  Rob about 3-4 MPG from you right there. 

Next- Any type of lift (not sure if you have one or not)  will steal an additional 2+ MPG

Lastly-  Highway driving-  You'll get the max MPG if you keep the highway speeds in the sweet spot, 65 MPH is ideal, you drop 1-2 MPG at 75. 

If the truck was stock, I guarantee you'd be very pleased with the fuel economy. 

Just some things to think about. 

Let us know what you think

Thanks

I had a 2000 Silverado z71 extended cab with a 5.3 and got 17-18mpg when it was bone stock. I leveled it out, lifted it 2.5 inches and put on 285/75r16's and fuel mileage averaged 12.5. Some times I was lucky to get 14.4. I now have a bone stock '16 extended cab 4wd 5.3 and get 17mpg (19miles highway, 1 mile of city each day). I'd love to level it, loose the lower valance and put on some attractive rubber, but it's hard to justify the impact of fuel economy, ride quality, and wear on the front end. Unfortunately with half tons, if you want fuel economy and longevity, low and ugly is the way to go. If you can afford a duramax, level it, do the deletes, tune it, and you'll get better fuel economy than my stock half ton.

My suggestion: sell the truck, and buy the Prius. If you wait long enough, 'bagged low riders will be cool again. You'll be able to look good, drive slow, get good fuel economy, and be able to load your ATV without 16' ramps. 

Archived