Engine calls for 5W-30, they put in 0W-20, does it matter?

They probably saw a new Silverado truck come in and out of habit installed the 0W20 that the 5.3 & 6.2 engines require. I doubt they even realized that you had a 4.3 engine. I would take it back and have the oil changed just do you don't have any warranty problems later when you have to show GM the oil change receipts proving you had the required oil changes. 

No problems at all.  I wouldn't rush out to get it changed.  Just keep an eye on your oil level.  If it were me, I would just keep an eye on the level and change it out at 3k.

I've ran 5w-20 in my 02  for 5k miles and the UOA's were all good.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

I would be sure to check the level.  The dealer did the same thing to my truck.  I suppose they saw it as a 1500 with a 5.3 or 6.2 and put 8 qts in it.  I drained the oil out and added the right grade.  Not going in for the rest of the "free" ones. 

Well they definitely put in 8 quarts when my engine takes 6.   No risk of long term issues though I hope for a few miles of commuting until it's fixed?  

It says 5W-30 in huge white letters on the oil filler cap, the engine looks smaller in the engine bay, and there are clearly only 6 spark plugs.  Kind of frustrating.  

6 hours ago, Knightfall said:

Well they definitely put in 8 quarts when my engine takes 6.   No risk of long term issues though I hope for a few miles of commuting until it's fixed?  

It says 5W-30 in huge white letters on the oil filler cap, the engine looks smaller in the engine bay, and there are clearly only 6 spark plugs.  Kind of frustrating.  

I would think a 2 quart overfill (overfilled by a third!!) would be problematic - personally I'd get it back to the correct fill.

• Like 1

Definitely take it back.  Give the company the opportunity to learn from this and regain your trust.  Someone made a rookie mistake and we've all made mistakes at work.  (Some of us just may not have been told!)

I had a similar experience with my 06 Trailblazer SS when I took it for its first oil change in 06. First the service writer told me I was putting my warranty in question for waiting so long for an oil change. I was still at 40 percent at 7K miles on Mobil 1. I wanted to do the first one early. He said I was 4K over. Told he to get educated. After the oil change I go to my shop and check it, it’s way over full. I call my salesman ( I bought a few from him) to ask if the have Mobil 1 in bulk. He says no just in qts just used in certain vehicles. They determined the wrong oil was used, and gave me a couple free ones. I did my own on that one after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from the shop, they told me they charged me for the V8 oil change but the tech noticed and did the V6 oil type and amount.   The oil level seems a tad high but not alarming and the truck runs fine, and obviously the shop gave me a refund.  What are yalls thoughts?   

I would absolutely do my own oil changes if I didn't live in an apartment complex with very little room to work.  

Probably what happened....I mean if Tech never noticed it was V-6 instead of V-8 dude is pretty far up in the clouds....Paperwork/computers yeah everybody messes that up.....As long as it slightly over your OK but 1-2qts ummm...No your going to foam and squeeze it out both seals and heads etc!

If they rechecked the oil level and said your good and the tech did put the right grade in, I would give them another go. Just double check the paper work order when you drop it off before it goes back. As Donstar said above, we all have made mistakes. 

• 5 months later...

I know that the 2014-2018 trucks with 5.3 and 6.2 engines "require" 0W-20 oil, yet the 2014-2018 Corvettes recommend 5W-30. This doesn't make a lot of sense unless the trucks get better gas mileage on the EPA cycle with the thinner oil. The Corvette's engine is virtually identical except the 5.3 has smaller pistons. The valve lifters are identical on the Vette and the trucks as are the bearings and many other moving parts. How could using 5W-30 in the pickup cause any damage? I live in Florida, not Alaska. I just have this thing about water thin motor oil.

First, let me say that I'm a believer in factory recommendations regarding maintenance. However, I'm not a big fan of water thin engine oil, especially in hot climates. I live in Florida. I've seen comments suggesting that the use of Mobil 1 5W-30 might cause damage to the 5.3 engine in a 2014-2018 Silverado or Sierra. I don't see any possibility of this since Chevrolet recommends  5W-30 for C7 Corvettes.  The bore is smaller for the 5.3 but the Corvette's 6.2 uses the same bearings, lifters and many other parts as the pickup engines. All the parts that are subject to wear are identical. My theory is that 0W-20 will yield tiny increase in MPG in the truck. I recently read that for 2019 Corvettes, the recommended oil is Mobil 1 0W-40.

Think about this.

My brother in law has a 1988 GMC 2500 with the 350, 4 speed and 411 gears. 

He bought the truck at auction.

The truck was used by a local parks and rec department.

It had a new GM transmission.

He has used this truck to haul a 10 K pound trailer.

40 K miles pulling 10 K pounds.

When hes not towing with the truck it gets 10W40.

When he tows it gets 30W. 

170 k miles on original motor.

:)