torque specs for front diff and rear diff

Did my fluids last night in a 2007 escalade ext, and on a YouTube video I saw the guy with the same truck and he did:

Front diff fill plug 13 lb foot
Front diff drain plug 13 lb foot
Rear fill plug 13 lb foot
Rear diff cover case 13 lb ft

i used the same torque specs that he did but when i read online it seems like its 24lb ft for the drain and fill plug, and then 29lb ft for the rear cover bolts.

ive been driving around for a day or two and no leaks. i should probably torque it up to 24 and 29 if its supposed to be that high

Specs are dependent on what rear axle you have.  If its got a fill plug in the cover and no drain, specs are as follows:

Rear Axle:

Fill plug - 24ft.lbs. (fill plug in the cover itself)

Diff cover bolts - 30ft.lbs. 

Front Axle:

Drain and fill plugs - 24ft.lbs.

I have been changing diff and Xfer fluids since the late 1960's and I have never torqued down bolts on covers or plugs.  I just have never considered it.  Maybe just the way I was taught about such things growing up on the farm.  I just do it by "feel".  Now, of course, heads, manifolds, etc, they would get torqued.  I guess I am always amazed at how much into detail some folks go regarding this sort of stuff.  Nothing wrong with it.  Not sure it is all that necessary though.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

Ft-lb or in-lb? Seems high for a drain plug...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, 007matman said:

I agree.. I'd double-check that. It seems high.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

All specs I posted are right from GM.

Edited by newdude

• 4 weeks later...

special torques on drain plugs is redundant anyone who is mechanically inclined knows that drain plugs and fill plugs have little or no pressure from any leaks on them However I can see where a greenhorn may not know what tight enough is , different applications are more important such as Aluminum or magneseum cases or housing that can be damaged from over tightening

• 3 years later...