Should I Buy a New Duramax

Have a '15 Gas 2500 Denali... low mileage... great shape... started towing a track car once a month or so. About 8000 pounds total. 

My debate is should I go buy a new Denali with a duramax. Should I just drive my gas model and wait for the total revamp in a couple years.

Should I spend the money or just use the gas truck for a few more years...

What would you guys do???

Depends what you’re looking to gain.

You’re nowhere near working that 6.0 very hard.

However, the dmax wouldn’t even know that trailer is behind it. You’d probably be a lot better off fuel efficiency wise as well.

But it’s gonna take A LOT of fuel stops in the dmax to recoup the difference between selling your truck and the new dmax.

14 hours ago, Daboom48 said:

Have a '15 Gas 2500 Denali... low mileage... great shape... started towing a track car once a month or so. About 8000 pounds total. 

My debate is should I go buy a new Denali with a duramax. Should I just drive my gas model and wait for the total revamp in a couple years.

Should I spend the money or just use the gas truck for a few more years...

What would you guys do???

Keep it and wait for the new ones in a couple of years.  Like racetrk said, you aren't taxing what you have and unless you are towing thru the mountains (more than once a month) it will take a LONG time to burn the $10k premium that they get for the diesel powertrain.

I’m gonna tell you what you know you want to hear..buy the Duramax.  Even if it’s once a month, you’ll love towing with it and will look forward to the trip.  Even when not towing, the Duramax is such an enjoyable truck to drive I doubt you will question the decision.   Sometimes you have to just do what you want to do and just accept it might not be the “best” decision from a practically standpoint, you only live once...Then trade it in on the new redesigned version when it comes out :)

Depends on how many miles you drive not pulling. The regen process requires driving to do the process. I know people who have diesels that drive a lot and have no problems. Saying that I would stay with the gas for awhile to see how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a financial standpoint I would keep the 6.0. You have built equity in the truck and by selling it there is the loss factor. From a need standpoint I would still keep the 6.0. It sounds like you would only be towing a couple times a month and the 6.0 would do the job. From a want standpoint I would go with the Duramax. Sounds like you like the idea of the Duramax platform. Great trucks with a lot of advantages.

The 6.0 wins 2 to 1. I would stick with the 6.0 and enjoy it until the new design becomes available and then weight the pros and cons of the new trucks.

I'd stay with the 6.0. I've always been a fan of diesel power and still have one of the last non-emission Cummins ever built but the O&M and potential for issues on a modern diesel is just not worth it to me. The 6.0 requires next to nothing to keep it going and you can idle and abuse it 6 ways to Sunday. 

I’ve had several Duramax trucks through the years including 2 LML’s and now an L5P..No emissions issues with any of them.  I use them for short commutes and plowed heavily with my previous 2015..lot’s of idling and short trips.  If you read forums you’ll find people that have issues but in reality they are few and far between.  If you truly want a Duramax don’t worry about the “issues” as again they are few and far between and no vehicle is immune..The new diesels also have 100,000 mile warranties...

By the way, this is not to say the 6.0 is a bad truck, it’s not..in fact it IS the most reliable gas motor you can buy and will take a beating for a LONG time..but if its power you are looking for, hard to beat a Dmax.

21 hours ago, CRApex said:

I’ve had several Duramax trucks through the years including 2 LML’s and now an L5P..No emissions issues with any of them.  I use them for short commutes and plowed heavily with my previous 2015..lot’s of idling and short trips.  If you read forums you’ll find people that have issues but in reality they are few and far between.  If you truly want a Duramax don’t worry about the “issues” as again they are few and far between and no vehicle is immune..The new diesels also have 100,000 mile warranties...

By the way, this is not to say the 6.0 is a bad truck, it’s not..in fact it IS the most reliable gas motor you can buy and will take a beating for a LONG time..but if its power you are looking for, hard to beat a Dmax.

I've also used LML's for work (and the previous version, can't remember the engine code) and they've been extremely reliable for the most part. I can't vouch for the L5P and if you put a gun to my head to choose a diesel I'd take a Dmax. If you put a gun to my head and ask me to pick the GM truck that I think will have the least problems over the long haul it would be the 6.0 version. I'm one of the few that can live with the 6.0 towing 10K+ once in awhile and that's why we buy them lol 

True story on the 6.0 itself.  It’s too bad they don’t make the Allision an option for the 6.0 for those of us who tow more frequently...It will outlast the 6L90 significantly.  Our works trucks with the 6.0 have all had transmission failures around the 115 mark.  

Archived