Should I Buy a New Duramax

On 11/4/2017 at 10:54 PM, CRApex said:

I’ve had several Duramax trucks through the years including 2 LML’s and now an L5P..No emissions issues with any of them.  I use them for short commutes and plowed heavily with my previous 2015..lot’s of idling and short trips.  If you read forums you’ll find people that have issues but in reality they are few and far between.  If you truly want a Duramax don’t worry about the “issues” as again they are few and far between and no vehicle is immune..The new diesels also have 100,000 mile warranties...

By the way, this is not to say the 6.0 is a bad truck, it’s not..in fact it IS the most reliable gas motor you can buy and will take a beating for a LONG time..but if its power you are looking for, hard to beat a Dmax.

You need a LML CP4.2 to shit the bed and cost 14k to replace the entire well system just one time to appreciate the cheap power of the 6.0.

Love the Duramax, love the power, hate the unknown.

Fuel issue has been resolved with the L5P.

1 hour ago, SMiller said:

You need a LML CP4.2 to shit the bed and cost 14k to replace the entire well system just one time to appreciate the cheap power of the 6.0.

Love the Duramax, love the power, hate the unknown.

Fuel issue has been resolved with the L5P.

I’d be sure to keep my LML stock and filters clean and a cp4 failure is not likely...that said, agree on the nightmare if it were to fail.

I have an L5P now with a completely new fuel system so problem solved..

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to get a new Dmax, one of the first things I would do is put on an Air Dog or FASS system and have it draw from the bottom of the tank via a Bean fuel tank sump, thereby eliminating or reducing the risk of a bunch of issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 11:15 PM, Cowpie said:

If I were to get a new Dmax, one of the first things I would do is put on an Air Dog or FASS system and have it draw from the bottom of the tank via a Bean fuel tank sump, thereby eliminating or reducing the risk of a bunch of issues.

Of course if it was a new duramax (rather than an LML or earlier)it would already have a pump (and filter) at the fuel tank. 

(ya I know, this is an LML section, but still..)

• 1 month later...

Towing more than 13,000 lbs. or towing in mountainous terrain where there is a benefit from a diesel with an exhaust brake and going to a diesel pickup may be worth the extra $9,000 purchase price and the greater maintenance costs and headaches with the DEF system. The one advantage with the Duramax trucks is that they ship with the Allison transmission which is definitely superior to any GM transmission in a truck.

For towing 8,000 lbs. I would be buying a older 1500 class truck with a V-8 engine and the 6-speed transmission. If I had any acceleration problems I would change out the gears to gain faster times "out of the hole" for freeway merging situations.

I'd hang onto the 2015 6.0 until the new body comes out.

I towed a 8500 enclosed trailer and a 10500lbs fifth wheel with a 2016 2500 6.0.
It did the job fine.

I have a 2018 duramax now and tow the same trailers. It does the job effortlessly.
I will not keep this truck past the warranty period as repairs can be costly.

I'm going to get the new body style HD when they come out but I'll decide on the engine at the time.

For now I'll enjoy the 18 duramax
7a5e96374b6df5eba0f137b50252ffe4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Obviously the existing truck is perfectly capable of the task you are using it for. Just boils down to if you have an extra 20k sitting around that you would not miss if it caught on fire and burned up to ashes or got flushed down the toilet? If so, well DUH, head over the local dealership and get the deal done this afternoon.  What color are you going to get? 

Archived