MPG after tires/lift?

I'm looking at a 2015 1500 with a 4.3, 3.42 gears.  I would add a leveling kit with 33x12.5s. What should I be expecting for gas mileage?  Would a 5.3 get better MPG with the lift/tires?

What is your current tire/lift/engine/mpg?

I tried the search feature but couldn't find a ton of what I was looking for.

Edited by Ghilie

You will be around the 16.5-18 mpg. I have a 4.3 with the 3.23, 2.5" level plus 3" spindle lift on 33s. With m/t, I get 15 at the most. I used to get 16.5 on 305-55-20 a/t

2014 Silverado 2WT 4.3 V6
Instagram @egroj_legnar
YouTube.com/jorge_dropkick_rangel

I'm looking at a 2015 1500 with a v6 4.3, 3.42 gears.  I would add a leveling kit with 33x12.5s. What should I be expecting for gas mileage?  Would a 5.3 get better MPG with the lift/tires?

What is your current tire/lift/engine/mpg?

I posted this in the general forum, but figured I should move it to the modification forum.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Dont let the MPG drop dictate the purchase. At most you will lose 2mpg on avg with that setup. 

I have a 2014 with 5.3L and let me tell you, get the 6.2L if you can find it. More power = less work to get the truck moving = better mpg.

My 5.3L stock get worse mpg than a stock 6.2L

Anytime you change the gear ratio (bigger tires) and alter the aerodynamics (lift and wide tires) of a vehicle you are going to lose mileage.  The engine has to work harder to overcome the added weight of big tires, the change in final drive ratio and drag caused by the lift.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

aseibel is right about there being many variables.  I have the same power combination and also faced the tire/level dilemma like yours.  You can give up the gas for appearance or stay stock and enjoy extra free miles in every tank of gas. I decided for now to stay stock and enjoy the mpg's.  You can compromise and go with a smaller level and a slightly over stock sized tire.  

I have the 5.3L with 3.42 gears. 2" level kit and 275/65/18 BFG KO2's on  it. I get anywhere from 10.5 to 12 L/100km on highway and 14 to 17L/100km in the city. My opinion is that the 5.3L is worth the extra $ as a bigger engine will not work as hard to push the truck around and also being the most popular engine can be a plus in the long run.

Edited by JerryCanada

These responses give me some concern as to whether or not there's an issue with my truck...

I've got a 2018 Denali w/ 6.2 & 8-speed. It is leveled with 33x12.5 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's as well as a Retrax ProMX rolling tonneau (thinking less drag here) + a Borla Touring GMPP exhaust. I have been REALLY babying this thing on acceleration, foot off the gas on hills, etc. & while driving my daily commute down a straight shot of I-10 w/ >90% being Highway, I STILL cannot seem to crack an average of 16mpg for at least 1/2 of a tank... 

Note: I was getting essentially the same results prior to the exhaust as well.

Anyone know what might be going on?? This truck has 2,200 miles on it.