Hello all!  So I went hunting this weekend and down some gravel roads...and I believe I picked up some rock paint chips...DOH!!   I don't have overly aggressive tires (285/65r18, on stock rims) but apparently enough to toss some rocks...so...I am looking for some fender flares that aren't too aggressive, just good coverage.  I like the clean look of the Bushwhacker Extend-A-Fender (I prefer to not get the fake bolts).    Again, since my tires don't really stick out, they are just about even with my fender (except at the bottom)...I don't really want a huge fender flare sticking out too far...

Do you have any recommendations of something similar?  the Bushwhacker are damn expensive, anything that is comparable but not quite as much?  (or is this the case of you get what you pay for?)

anyway, also I have seen some OEM fenders for sale, didn't know if they had any coverage or would just be a hint of a lip sticking out...

looking for suggestions!  thanks in advance!

(ps I accidentally posted this in the HD section yesterday...if a Mod happens to read this and doesn't mind moving or deleting the other thread)

Not sure where your rock chips are hitting but it sounds like mudflaps may solve your problem better than fender flares. From what I've seen fender flares don't extend a lot at the bottom, and for rocks thats where you really need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Penguin VII said:

Not sure where your rock chips are hitting but it sounds like mudflaps may solve your problem better than fender flares. From what I've seen fender flares don't extend a lot at the bottom, and for rocks thats where you really need it.

that might be a good option to look into...they are mostly on the bulge of the fender in front of the rear tire...i have one nice nick almost to the bed rail, on the corner where the bed starts turning behind the cab...i have a couple on the lower skins of my doors...mud flaps might be a good idea, thank you!  any suggestions on which ones to look at?

I don't use them so I can't speak from personal experience on that but it would seem like mostly a personal preference thing for style/type. I have some Husky mats for my truck and everyone on the forum seems to feel they are best. Seems as if they have mudflaps as well, in quite a few styles.

https://www.huskyliners.com/mud-flaps-mud-guards

1 hour ago, Penguin VII said:

I don't use them so I can't speak from personal experience on that but it would seem like mostly a personal preference thing for style/type. I have some Husky mats for my truck and everyone on the forum seems to feel they are best. Seems as if they have mudflaps as well, in quite a few styles.

https://www.huskyliners.com/mud-flaps-mud-guards

ok, thanks!  i'll check them out!

19 hours ago, SkiBum5.0 said:

Another option is to apply a 3M protective film on the leading edge of the bed, as well as the rear arch. I had this done after having the same issues with the same tires. $100 and it took an installer less than an hour.

yeah, my wife's vehicle has all that clear bra on it, i like it a lot, but wasnt sure if a black truck would be noticable or as far as longevity goes, how the paint would look compared to the non-protected paint...definitely something to look into though...thanks!

1 hour ago, spenpet said:

yeah, my wife's vehicle has all that clear bra on it, i like it a lot, but wasnt sure if a black truck would be noticable or as far as longevity goes, how the paint would look compared to the non-protected paint...definitely something to look into though...thanks!

No you won't be able to tell it's installed.

I'd recommend a heavy duty mudflap - like the Gatorbacks.  I have a rear set only, but sounds like you could use front and rear.

https://www.sharptruck.com/gatorback-chevy-bowtie-with-black-wrap-mud-flaps

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChevyRoofer said:

No you won't be able to tell it's installed.

I am going to disagree there a bit. You can definitely tell around the edges as it ages. Not so much a problem with the film as it is with the fact that any wax or other build up gets caught on that edge and makes the edge more obvious.

I suppose if you're super anal about it you can get around by cleaning it off, but my buddy has a Porsche 911 gt3 rs that gets professionally detailed and even his is starting to show.

I am going to disagree there a bit. You can definitely tell around the edges as it ages. Not so much a problem with the film as it is with the fact that any wax or other build up gets caught on that edge and makes the edge more obvious.

I suppose if you're super anal about it you can get around by cleaning it off, but my buddy has a Porsche 911 gt3 rs that gets professionally detailed and even his is starting to show.

True, I’ve heard of the yellowing happening with age, but I’ve never heard that happening to Xpel products, only 3M...

Plus my Xpel Ultimate comes with a 10-yr warranty including yellowing, discoloration, peeling, cracking, and hazing, labor included too!
So first chance I see any discoloration I’m going to go get some new protection.

The self-healing from swirl marks and light scratches is amazing too and really does work.
But you really can’t tell it’s there unless you get up close and try to see it. Corners and edges should be hidden, just depends on your installer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChevyRoofer said:

True, I’ve heard of the yellowing happening with age, but I’ve never heard that happening to Xpel products, only 3M...

Plus my Xpel Ultimate comes with a 10-yr warranty including yellowing, discoloration, peeling, cracking, and hazing, labor included too!
So first chance I see any discoloration I’m going to go get some new protection.

The self-healing from swirl marks and light scratches is amazing too and really does work.
But you really can’t tell it’s there unless you get up close and try to see it. Corners and edges should be hidden, just depends on your installer.

Fair, my friend had the 3M brand so that's my only experience.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:42 AM, spenpet said:

Hello all!  So I went hunting this weekend and down some gravel roads...and I believe I picked up some rock paint chips...DOH!!   I don't have overly aggressive tires (285/65r18, on stock rims) but apparently enough to toss some rocks...so...I am looking for some fender flares that aren't too aggressive, just good coverage.  I like the clean look of the Bushwhacker Extend-A-Fender (I prefer to not get the fake bolts).    Again, since my tires don't really stick out, they are just about even with my fender (except at the bottom)...I don't really want a huge fender flare sticking out too far...

Do you have any recommendations of something similar?  the Bushwhacker are damn expensive, anything that is comparable but not quite as much?  (or is this the case of you get what you pay for?)

anyway, also I have seen some OEM fenders for sale, didn't know if they had any coverage or would just be a hint of a lip sticking out...

looking for suggestions!  thanks in advance!

(ps I accidentally posted this in the HD section yesterday...if a Mod happens to read this and doesn't mind moving or deleting the other thread)

Have you ever noticed that the factory puts the small mud flaps on wrong?  I got the new Denali and the flaps that came with it are on the front side of the tire!!!  I first didn't think anything of it then I saw they were on the forward side of the tire, not the trailing... rotation flings thing back toward the rear, not so much to the  front... Thought it was just mistake until I went into the dealer.  The  Anyway they are all that way.  Now I just ordered some not so expensive flares, which use stock mounting so no hole drilling. we will see when i get them just how cheap they are made!,, i will paint then and add some rock protector on the entire flare to cut down on chipping... these are 3.5 inch,,,, I think just enough to protect body some and make a beefier look...   now I am wondering should I carbon wrap them rather than paint?  Chrome or fiber? or stock paint and some pin stripping? or just what?????  To much thinking, my head hurts.   But Flares do help and look good!

1 hour ago, ChevyRoofer said:

What do you want covered?

Probably the front end and lower fender areas behind the wheel wells.