Loud Tapping/Clicking on Cold starts

Anyone have a sound like this? https://photos.app.goo.gl/dOUP0gr0U328ts3k1

Only on cold starts usually, dealer is telling me its 100% normal since no codes are being thrown they wont can't do anything wtf.. My 2016 made no such noise either does my brothers 2017 and its loud, can hear as I walk up to the truck... My tailgate is also sticking and they said I need to use it more lol ugggghh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is defiantly a lifter but I would not be alarmed if it is only on a cold start. I have had vehicles with lifter tick make it past 300k. And mine ticked all the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, wildlyfe200 said:

That is defiantly a lifter but I would not be alarmed if it is only on a cold start. I have had vehicles with lifter tick make it past 300k. And mine ticked all the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Shes only got 900 miles on er..I complained and got a loaner they are keeping it over night , had it for less than 2 weeks..

12 minutes ago, Eddie 70 said:

Side note, it looks like the oil filter has a small leak. Black streak down the side of the filter.

That was marker, I saw the same thing lol, good eye tho

Dealer called and they were able to replicate the sound, so atleast they didnt say operating as intended or its a normal noise.

4 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Is it skipping? Sounds like you need a complete new set of wires.

Yea sounds like its skipping --> Video from yesterday morning: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRUjQvU1JOzA0sEp2

I saw the 1 wire they replaced, should have just did them all right away, they asked me to come in and see if I can hear the noise with them...Lol I go I am not taking off work, its a obvious noise....

Mine has/had the same noise.  I bought my truck over 1500 miles away from home.  The first time I noticed it (and maybe it was there since new) was when I first remote started my truck after getting it home.  The noise is too slow to be a lifter.  It's about a quarter the rotating speed of the crankshaft (look and listen close).  A lifter would be half the speed.  With that being said I think it's coming from the DI pump on the back of the intake manifold.  Mine hasn't gotten any worse or louder.  In fact, now that I'm up to 4200 miles it seems to have almost gone away entirely unless I'm really listening for it.  I think the DI pump needs to break-in or something is wearing in as it should.  If it's anything else, please post up.  I'm curious to see what they find.  I don't think it's something to be concerned about though.

Archived