talked my brother out of a 2017 Sierra

Colossus

I talked a co-worker out of buying a used GMT900 5.3 oil furnace.

My 2007 Sierra used almost more oil than fuel and since last week I'm on the oil consumption test with my 2013 Silverado.

I also said that I don't have much confidence that GM has solved that problem with the new trucks.

I mean, they had 7 years between '07 and'13 to find a solution but couldn't. Why would they now?

Just saying.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely wouldn't discourage my brother  from buying a GM based on the information on this forum.  This forum makes me like GM more!  I often look at ford trucks and have owned several of them. If I had to choose today between a comparably equipped Fi50 and a Silverado/Sierra 1500 based on my personal preference and all the negative internet information it would be GM.  The engine choice in GM has been my main draw since the mid 90's.

I owned just about the same amount of the three main brands. It comes down to price and option packages. When it came to pulling who ever had the best tow rating at the time. It’s generally a crap shoot whether you get a bad one. They only real left stranded problem I ever had was a 94 Dodge one ton. They had clips in the transmission lines that would vibrate out and let the fluid out. Easy fix but all they would do was replace the clip s and let it repeat. After one year and a few tows to the dealer they gave me my money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny,  My brother asked me the other day about buying a truck for towing?  Dude is a computer geek and nothing close to a truck guy.......wants to pull a 8k dry TT.....Anyway apparently he researched a F-150 and told me it can pull 13k.  I told him your F'N kidding and you kill yourself and others at that limit! 

Anyway, he backed off for now as I told him to get an older prior 2014 model 2500HD with the 6.0...because it's cheaper and FAR,FAR more reliable than a 2.7 TT F-150......what do I know......and towing a 8K dry TT you really need a 2500 imo.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I definitely wouldn't discourage my brother  from buying a GM based on the information on this forum.  This forum makes me like GM more!  I often look at ford trucks and have owned several of them. If I had to choose today between a comparably equipped Fi50 and a Silverado/Sierra 1500 based on my personal preference and all the negative internet information it would be GM.  The engine choice in GM has been my main draw since the mid 90's.

Exactly it Donstar the Engine!

I know Ford owners that have lots of problems to. One of them is a Ford mechanic, he says the same thing and that he has worked on lots of Ford trucks with goof ball problems to. They all have issues and you can get good and bad in any of them!

That being said I would never consider a Ford! I would sooner have GM with recalls than any Ford of any description! To each his own but No Fords for me. 

All cars have their issues and vocal minority affected by those issues, but this truck is definitely one I wouldn't recommend. You did good.

Sidenote: I saw a brand new F150 at a light today. Did they redesign it? It looked a bit softened in the front. Actually looked quite nice. Very luxurious looking.

My Dad's 97 Burb was a tank. My Dad's 03 Escalade ESV was a MAJOR tank. My 15 Silverado is a MAJOR tank as well. Runs like a top, shifts like a champ, rides like a Cadillac at times, and is built like a BEAST. I'd like to actually ride in a truck that vibrates because mine rides nice. The individuals I've asked before I got my truck have had nothing but good to say about theirs. I can't highly recommend the SIlverado enough :D. I hate that some have had bad experiences, but nobody is perfect, and GM is no exception.

I didn’t have any problems with my 14. I’d been away from new trucks for awhile I was at the end of my working career and flew to where I needed to go.The last few working years I drove sports cars and old hot rod trucks to the office. I bought my 14 cause my partners said in our business real men drove trucks. Without doing any research I bought my 14. Nice truck and all that. The first thing I always do is go to my exhaust guy, trucks got sound like a truck. Imagine my surprise when the damn thing started sounding like a helicopter, I was pissed. So after a tune and research of what it takes to make all that work, 18 months later lm retired the truck is gone. GM got me on the 5.7 diesel 6.2 experiment 3 times shame on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, RJNavarrete said:

All cars have their issues and vocal minority affected by those issues, but this truck is definitely one I wouldn't recommend. You did good.

Sidenote: I saw a brand new F150 at a light today. Did they redesign it? It looked a bit softened in the front. Actually looked quite nice. Very luxurious looking.

2018 got a new grill, tailgate and some other bits. The grills are now very distinctive on each trim. I like some, hate others. 

The reality is all the brands are making a good full-size truck these days. Forums are a terrible way to get a feel for problems because this is where people come for help. Each brand moves north of a half million pickups per year (not including Toyota or Nissan) so there are literally millions of owners out there without issue who aren't compelled to come here (or to the Ford or Ram forums)  to get help (or complain :lol: ). 

Yep that's what Dad said, the competition creates great products. Regardless of what Tarder Trend says, they are all quite close, and you could flip a coin if you wanted. That being said, I still love Chevy

Some people would screw up the Lords Prayer if they knew it! I have had 12 Chevy or GMC trucks since 1976 and I would not trade one of them for a Furd! My Opinion I know! 

No Fords for this guy! Chevy for life!

Keep in mind that it's very rare that someone will post a topic to tell everyone what is working well on their truck. Basically because they don't have a problem to be solved. Being on many forums over the years it's not any different anywhere else. 

On 11/5/2017 at 8:53 AM, MikeNH said:

2018 got a new grill, tailgate and some other bits. The grills are now very distinctive on each trim. I like some, hate others. 

The reality is all the brands are making a good full-size truck these days. Forums are a terrible way to get a feel for problems because this is where people come for help. Each brand moves north of a half million pickups per year (not including Toyota or Nissan) so there are literally millions of owners out there without issue who aren't compelled to come here (or to the Ford or Ram forums)  to get help (or complain :lol: ). 

don't forget about the MODS; regardless if it is cosmetic; performance, or technological!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived