My buddy's 2018 duramax

He ordered a 2018 duramax just came in to dealer.  No running boards or factory 5th wheel...the dealership told him gm don't do that they make the dealers do that.  That is pretty hard to believe...just wanting to know if this is true.

But to the original post, yes there are a bunch of options that are dealer installed -- the boards is one. 

They are listed in the fleet order guide as dealer install.

They can likely all be ordered thru GM accessory as well, so that they can be added on a lot or dealer trade vehicle.  

5th wheel/gooseneck is factory.

Running boards are ordered with truck, the go to GM parts Depot and are shipped to dealer when truck ships to dealer, they are dealer installed at time of prep.

Dealer is a idiot as usual, if he ordered the truck I don't understand where the miscommunication is. All the codes and options would have been listed on the order sheet.

Any time I've ordered a truck (w/ the exception of 1 screw up back in the 80s), I've watched the salesman input the codes. W/ the process done online, it's quite easy to follow along. I'm not sure about my '04 but I know w/ my '11 & '17 I basically watched as he worked his way thru the process. Pretty hard to 'miss' checking off an option.

My '15 High Country did not come with 5th wheel but the dealer had to install the running boards, cargo box side step, and the chrome front tow hooks. I bought it before they PDI'd it and had to wait for them to put the running boards and step on. Had to take it back to get the chrome tow hooks because they forgot to put them on.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Any time I've ordered a truck (w/ the exception of 1 screw up back in the 80s), I've watched the salesman input the codes. W/ the process done online, it's quite easy to follow along. I'm not sure about my '04 but I know w/ my '11 & '17 I basically watched as he worked his way thru the process. Pretty hard to 'miss' checking off an option.

Sometimes changes get made during the order acceptance process between dealer and gm.  But I agree, the input process is pretty easy and straight forward.

I had a printed copy of the exact order input into the system - the DMax pkg requires running boards (to hide the DEF tank). I also ordered the pet seat cover, the under seat storage bin and the console organizer - they were shipped separate from the truck and arrived at the dealer ahead of it - the dealer installed them  as part of the dealer prep.

Sometimes things do change at the factory - the most recent issue I remember was the sliding rear window that was unavailable for awhile and of course the ever present allocation on the DMax. So perhaps the gooseneck prep was one of those items that was not available during the build - I agree that it is not a dealer added product - although the hitch and tie downs probably are.

7 hours ago, 2017HD said:

I had a printed copy of the exact order input into the system - the DMax pkg requires running boards (to hide the DEF tank). I also ordered the pet seat cover, the under seat storage bin and the console organizer - they were shipped separate from the truck and arrived at the dealer ahead of it - the dealer installed them  as part of the dealer prep.

Sometimes things do change at the factory - the most recent issue I remember was the sliding rear window that was unavailable for awhile and of course the ever present allocation on the DMax. So perhaps the gooseneck prep was one of those items that was not available during the build - I agree that it is not a dealer added product - although the hitch and tie downs probably are.

Doesn't work that way, if option is not available it delays the order, the order doesn't continue through with missing options.

10 hours ago, 2017HD said:

R8M is the delete code if you don't want the rectangular steps that are in the Dmax package on a SLT or LTZ

Archived