Oil Filter for 2014+ conflicting info.

Hi All,

After using up my dealer provided oil changes, I am ready to take on the tasks myself.  I have read lots of info on people disliking the PF63E due to the construction of it, but it seems that besides having some material changed, it also has a pressure relief change to 22psi from 15psi.  I have always liked WIX filters so I ordered a few 57045XP as those are listed as a cross reference for PF63E.  In doing a little more research and making sure I had a good quality filter, i found a reference document that stated due to the oil pump design, a filter with less than 15psi bypass pressure shouldnt be used. So my dilemma is:

Should i just use the PF63e?

Will the Wix 57045xp be acceptable although they list the pressure as 12-15psi?

A Wix 57502xp meets the pressure requirement of 22psi, but doesnt show as a cross reference for PF63E.  It does cross reference a Hastings LF461 or  Baldwin B7449 which show as being direct replacements for our trucks.  Although the 57502xp meets the spec's it doesnt show as a PF63e replacement?  Would you use anyway?

Lots of conflicting info out there and I just want to make sure I have the proper filter on there.

Thanks for your advice!

2 hours ago, dbrobins27 said:

Hi All,

After using up my dealer provided oil changes, I am ready to take on the tasks myself.  I have read lots of info on people disliking the PF63E due to the construction of it, but it seems that besides having some material changed, it also has a pressure relief change to 22psi from 15psi.  I have always liked WIX filters so I ordered a few 57045XP as those are listed as a cross reference for PF63E.  In doing a little more research and making sure I had a good quality filter, i found a reference document that stated due to the oil pump design, a filter with less than 15psi bypass pressure shouldnt be used. So my dilemma is:

Should i just use the PF63e?

Will the Wix 57045xp be acceptable although they list the pressure as 12-15psi?

A Wix 57502xp meets the pressure requirement of 22psi, but doesnt show as a cross reference for PF63E.  It does cross reference a Hastings LF461 or  Baldwin B7449 which show as being direct replacements for our trucks.  Although the 57502xp meets the spec's it doesnt show as a PF63e replacement?  Would you use anyway?

Lots of conflicting info out there and I just want to make sure I have the proper filter on there.

Thanks for your advice!

Excellent question, I believe most people over look the importance of the by pass pressure range. I went through this exact same thing, I ordered and use the Wix xp 57045xp for a few changes until I found a better option in my opinion.

In my opinion, the Royal purple 20-500 is the best filter you can buy, the media used is really good and I believe they advised down to 20 microns...do some research on that filter for yourself. However they did not list a bypass pressure; so I emailed them and they responded really quickly and said that the 20-500 filter had a bypass pressure range of 18-22 psi

So I figured that was in the ballpark, and with all the other good things I've read, that's what I've been using ever since.

Royal purple 20-500 filter and mobile 1 oil

Go by what the Wix site states to use for your truck.  Don't go by the cross reference.  So do a filter look up on the Wix site listing your vehicle, which sounds like it is the 57502xp. I didn't check it myself.

It is easy to do a cross reference but it isn't always the best choice.  You need to go by what the filter manufacture recommends for your application. 

Just an FYI,  AMSOIL lists their EaO17 for your truck.

I have a 2014 with the 6.2L engine and about 64,000 miles.  I use the WIX 57045 filter and have had no problems at all. 

14 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

To muddy the waters a bit, the factory installed filter is not a PF-63E, It is just a normal original design PF-63. If you look hard enough, they can be found.

Thats the confusing part.  The factory installed filter is PF-63,  The service filter that GM recommends is PF-63E.  PF-63E has the different bypass pressure specs.  So most of the parts providers recommend a filter that is comparable or equal to the PF-63.  There are a couple out there that based on the model year and engine specify a filter with the revised bypass pressure spec.  Here is a bulletin or document I found:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/2012-2017-corvette-service-bulletin-17-na-157-information-on-spin-on-oil-filter-replacement-for-gas-engines-designed-with-new-oil-pump-control-systems-1363.html

I have an email into wix to see what they have to say about the 57045 not meeting the pressure specs of the PF-63E.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, dbrobins27 said:

Hi All,

In doing a little more research and making sure I had a good quality filter, i found a reference document that stated due to the oil pump design, a filter with less than 15psi bypass pressure shouldnt be used. 

Thanks for your advice!

The filter is downstream of the pump and the pump is of internal bypass design. The filter bypass is an internal feature of the filter proper and is there to assure oil goes where it's suppose to when the oil is cold or the filter is plugged. Has nothing to do with the pump, it's design features or requirements. 

The bypass pressure is the pressure difference across the filter media irrespective of the filters inlet pressure (pump discharge pressure). :thumbs:

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The filter is downstream of the pump and the pump is of internal bypass design. The filter bypass is an internal feature of the filter proper and is there to assure oil goes where it's suppose to when the oil is cold or the filter is plugged. Has nothing to do with the pump, it's design features or requirements. 

The bypass pressure is the pressure difference across the filter media irrespective of the filters inlet pressure (pump discharge pressure). :thumbs:

Thanks for your insight.  I suppose my original post was more or less quoting the bulletin below that oil pressures had been increased, therefore filter specs were also improved.  Perhaps my wording of oil pump design wasn't appropriate.  Regardless to update those that are interested, the folks at WIX did call me and said they are looking into the information and they will get me a formal response soon. 

image.thumb.png.f1bd63f97a22d2c8bf9b4f17c2f2f247.png

image.png

For what it's worth, my new 2017 5.3 build date of 7 - 17 came from factory with the straight pf63 part # 89017525.  I have looked at 4 new 17s and they all have the older version filter with the older part number. I have tried just about everywhere to find that part number pf63. If they were truly worried about the pressures and the new filter specs they would not use the older version. 

Edited by Crobinson16
Information
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crobinson16 said:

For what it's worth, my new 2017 5.3 build date of 7 - 17 came from factory with the straight pf63 part # 89017525.  I have looked at 4 new 17s and they all have the older version filter with the older part number. I have tried just about everywhere to find that part number pf63. If they were truly worried about the pressures and the new filter specs they would not use the older version. 

Thanks for the info, that is interesting. 

17 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

Here are cases and cases of them. With free shipping they are $3.59 each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Oil-Filter-Durapack-ACDELCO-Pro-PF63F-Case-of-12/172925950178?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, dbrobins27 said:

Thanks for your insight.  I suppose my original post was more or less quoting the bulletin below that oil pressures had been increased, therefore filter specs were also improved.  Perhaps my wording of oil pump design wasn't appropriate.  Regardless to update those that are interested, the folks at WIX did call me and said they are looking into the information and they will get me a formal response soon. 

image.thumb.png.f1bd63f97a22d2c8bf9b4f17c2f2f247.png

That makes even less sense. Bypass pressure is the differential  pressure, not a main galley pressure or even the pump discharge pressure. It lifts and bypasses the filter media when the filter is plugged or the oil is too cold. Making the point higher delays the building of main galley pressure...for like a nanosecond. My BS meter is going off like a five alarm fire.