Thinking of lifting it

So my truck is a 2015 Silverado 2500HD crew cab, 4x4 with the 6.0.   I've had several trucks over the years and I've left them all stock. I have always wanted a lift and larger tires going on 18 years now! I think I finally might do it as I have some extra money set-aside and I'm only getting older at this point. 

I think I would like to go with the 4.5 inch BDS lift.  I got a quote on it back in January the last time I was thinking about this.  Everything out the door including 20 inch Fuel wheels and new 305/55-20 Toyo AT tires was a tad over $6000.  Now I'm not really stuck on those tires so if I do change it might be a little more or a little less but that's just a guideline I guess.

I've also been thinking of just leveling the front but man I sure would love a lift. I do use the truck for a part-time landscaping business and I tow a utility trailer and a dump trailer.  If it wasn't for that I probably would just go all the way up with a 6 inch lift. What do you guys think? I guess I'm just trying to read other peoples opinions not that it really matters in the end but why not right?  Do the full lift or just the level kit? There's so many negatives I read about the level kit in addition to the harsh ride.  This is the BDS lift with the fox shocks and I've read really great reviews on it. 

I guess the next question is, do I go with 33's or 35s if it's the full lift? I have seen some trucks with 35's on them with this lift and I read there was minor trimming on the plastic valance that's it.  If it is 35 do you go with 11.5 or 12.5?  I have also read some guys running 295–65–20. Is there really that big of a difference?  If I'm going to do this I really want it to look sweet. I don't know a whole lot about it but just from what I read on here and see on the Internet so that's why I'm posting as well.

Dude 305-55's are tiny, they look decent on a stock truck but will look horrible on a 4.5in. lift.

I did landscape/lawn Care for 18 years, we just ran leveled trucks for several reasons.

Lift requires cutting...

Lift is hard to get into.

Lift means no gooseneck or plowing unless you make custom mount.

Huge lose of power and braking.

Lose of resell.

I would crank the bars and get wheels and tires, call it a day, if the rear squats when loaded heavy then install Timbrens or airbags.

8 minutes ago, SMiller said:

Dude 305-55's are tiny, they look decent on a stock truck but will look horrible on a 4.5in. lift.

I did landscape/lawn Care for 18 years, we just ran leveled trucks for several reasons.

Lift requires cutting...

Lift is hard to get into.

Lift means no gooseneck or plowing unless you make custom mount.

Huge lose of power and braking.

Lose of resell.

I would crank the bars and get wheels and tires, call it a day, if the rear squats when loaded heavy then install Timbrens or airbags.

Thanks for posting!  Glad someone posted that also worked out of their truck.  I never thought about if I ever decided to plow that it would be a hassle getting a mount installed.  I live in VA so it's hit or miss with snow...not sure I'd ever do it but you make a valid point...goose neck trailer too.  Not sure I'd ever be towing one kind of like plowing but I'm glad you brought that up because I didn't think of that.

So because I'm not very familiar....you think just a 4.5 would be a pain to get in and out of and get things out of the bed too?

With leveling if I decide to do that.....looking at 33's or maybe a 295-65-20 comparable as the largest tire?

When you say loss of power and braking....that didn't cross my mind either.  another good point you brought up.  I guess if it was diesel the loss of power would be negligible. But, with gas it really would be noticeable I'm thinking.

I'm really liking some of these black Fuel brand wheels I've been looking at.  I don't know if that's something that would look as good without some kind of lift though.  I'm just thinking out loud......

If you use your truck daily for work, I'd leave it at stock height. Get a cheap used one to jack up for the weekends.

To many problems with ride, alignment, access, etc. Lifting trucks is a horrible investment and it kills resale. Basically I wouldn't want to keep one and you will lose money when you sell it. So its purely for entertainment. That's why I said get a used weekend truck. That's my opinion, from a guy who uses my truck as a truck.

2 minutes ago, aseibel said:

If you use your truck daily for work, I'd leave it at stock height. Get a cheap used one to jack up for the weekends.

To many problems with ride, alignment, access, etc. Lifting trucks is a horrible investment and it kills resale. Basically I wouldn't want to keep one and you will lose money when you sell it. So its purely for entertainment. That's why I said get a used weekend truck. That's my opinion, from a guy who uses my truck as a truck.

Well thanks for posting.  That's exactly what I wanted to hear...peoples opinions so I can weigh a decision.

5 hours ago, ron mexico75 said:

Ok let me ask this, if I go 35 x 11.50 R20 tires with just a level......if I ever did decide to get the lift, would those tires still look decent with a 4.5" BDS lift?

Yes.

Do keep in mind you can turn down a lift slightly and install shorter blocks, that 4.5in. lift can go down to 4in. or up to 5in. so there is a little wiggle room.

I have the 6.5in BDS lift. No complaints here. 35x12.5 Toyo AT. It's a tad bit slower on acceleration, but I'm not into racing trucks. I don't tow or plow. It's a road princess. I would have purchased a 1500 if it hadn't been for the AFM, so a 2500 was the only choice for me. With everything I installed it was a hair over $7k. Lift, wheels, tires, and labor. 

I've driven over 25k miles on these tires, and will probably get about 15k more. If I don't get another set of 35x12.5, I'll probably get 295/65. Haven't decided yet.

If you want to lift it, go for it. I'll most likely always lift my trucks, but like I said, I don't use them for "work"

You can run fat 33's or skinny 34's with just a few cranks on the torsion bars. If you actually use your truck for work, that's what I would do. Throw some shock extensions on it, get the front end aligned, and drive the heck out of it! 

I personally would only level my truck, i use mine for towing mainly but any higher then it is with just a level it would get annoying. especially if you are using it for work Im not sure I would want to deal with that. I also have 305 nitro 420's on my only leveled truck, which look proportionate.. if you lift it, get 35's.

IMHO - leveling makes for an odd stance when towing or carrying a heavy load.  Looks great unloaded but nose up / ass down when you put any weight on it.

It can take too much weight off of the front end and make the steering way too light.

4 hours ago, paracutin said:

IMHO - leveling makes for an odd stance when towing or carrying a heavy load.  Looks great unloaded but nose up / ass down when you put any weight on it.

It can take too much weight off of the front end and make the steering way too light.

Which is a good reason to level the truck with the loaded trailer hooked on or install airbags/Timbrens so the rear doesn't squat.

Archived