Race Fan Or Not, You Will Love the NHRA Silverado 3500 HD Safety Concept

Gorehamj

sema safari hd 34.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

11-5-2017

Is there anything more bad-ass than a dually with low profile tires? Maybe one with a 6.2-liter Duramax diesel engine cranking 910 lb-ft of torque, a fire suppression system, and other supporting equipment, including AMKUS Rescue Equipment.

sema silverado safety silverado.jpg

As part of the SEMA show celebration, Chevy created this one-off Silverado 3500HD Safari Safety concept vehicle. The idea is this is a truck that would run out onto the track in case of a crash and save lives and do track prep work. Chevy developed it in association with NHRA Safety Safari . A group that has evolved into the sanctioning body’s first-line safety team for the NHRA Mello Yellow series.

The truck has a long list of specialized equipment beyond the usual list of 3500HD truck content, including:

Fire suppression equipment with nitrogen cylinder and 80-gallon tank

Bed-mounted aluminum frame with extendable mast

Whelen red and green LED strobes and additional lighting

Incident support equipment including shovels, brooms, fire extinguishers, jacks, car dolly and oil absorbent material

AMKUS Rescue Equipment System

2018 Silverado Midnight Edition elements, including a black exterior, black bumpers, power-adjustable and heated trailering mirrors and a black mesh grille with chrome bars (Midnight Edition offered on Silverado 1500 and 2500HD production models)

22-inch black wheels with 305/45LT22 tires.

"6.2 liter" ?  Think that's supposed to be 6.6 liter

Also no low profile is not bad ass for me, just means more rim damage and rougher ride.  It might be the angle but it looks like tires stick out past the fenders so that's a no go again.  What do I know though, everyone's got their own opinions.  If it had an 80 gallon diesel tank that would perk my interest though.

6 hours ago, garagerog said:

Think the 80 gallon tank they were referring to was for the fire suppression system, not the dually's diesel fuel tank which would be overkill for a track safety truck. Would be sweet for a towing rig tho. 

lol I know, I can still hope for one though.  Hopefully with the next gen they bump the tank sizes up and move that stupid def tank.

Archived