Block heater questions

Our 2016 Yukon did not come with the factory block heater installed, so we had the dealer install one. It's gotten cold here now so we've just started using it for the last couple of days now.

Has anyone found a good place to route the plug, so that the hood does not need to be opened every time you use it, and without it flopping around scuffing up the grill/headlight if it were left hanging out from under the hood?

Also, has anyone removed the in-line thermostat so that it will work in temps warmer than 0 degrees F? Any complications in doing so? It's not colder than that here very often so it seems as though it will be useless most of the time.

Our 2016 Yukon did not come with the factory block heater installed, so we had the dealer install one. It's gotten cold here now so we've just started using it for the last couple of days now.

Has anyone found a good place to route the plug, so that the hood does not need to be opened every time you use it, and without it flopping around scuffing up the grill/headlight if it were left hanging out from under the hood?

Also, has anyone removed the in-line thermostat so that it will work in temps warmer than 0 degrees F? Any complications in doing so? It's not colder than that here very often so it seems as though it will be useless most of the

• 4 weeks later...

I routed mine through the bottom part of the grille, you would have to unplug it from the heater if you did this though. You can see it zip tied to the grille slat below the light in the corner.

24118063898_1de61d9d07_k.jpg

I have not disabled my thermostat in the block heater cord, I have pad heaters on the oil and trans pan which get me an additional 20 degrees above ambient temp of the fluids (according to the cluster on start up). From what I understand a variance in coolant temp (i.e. 20 degree coolant with 0 degree ambient temps) at start up can set of the CEL. I get as low at 50 below zero where I live (Denali Park, AK) and it's done pretty well so far, anything below -10 you can tell is rough on it though.

Archived