Bilstein 5100

Sweet looking truck, love the color. I have close to the same vehicle only gas dlb cab. Looking to do this for same reason. Towing can get use bobbing in the cabin on rough roads. You have a 5th wheel or tow behind?

I believe the 4600 is only for stock suspension and 5100 which I am told are an inch longer will work on stock or slightly lifted trucks. Read that somewhere on a truck forum. 4600 are painted yellow and 5100's have brushed aluminum look but they do rust also or corrode as i experienced with my old 1500.

56 minutes ago, GMC4Zee said:

I believe the 4600 is only for stock suspension and 5100 which I am told are an inch longer will work on stock or slightly lifted trucks. Read that somewhere on a truck forum. 4600 are painted yellow and 5100's have brushed aluminum look but they do rust also or corrode as i experienced with my old 1500.

False, the 5100 series is not longer, it is the exact same length as both the 4600 series as well as the factory shocks.

Bilstein claims the 5100 is valved for a stock or leveled truck and while that maybe somewhat true they still require shock spacers on leveled trucks for correct length and valving.

13 hours ago, SMiller said:

False, the 5100 series is not longer, it is the exact same length as both the 4600 series as well as the factory shocks.

Bilstein claims the 5100 is valved for a stock or leveled truck and while that maybe somewhat true they still require shock spacers on leveled trucks for correct length and valving.

There are several 5100 part # for the 2500, the first is for 0 to 2 inch lift and then another # for 4 to 6 and maybe on in between.

4600's have the same valving but no provision for lift.

• 2 months later...
On 08/11/2017 at 6:27 AM, FreeAmerican said:

There are several 5100 part # for the 2500, the first is for 0 to 2 inch lift and then another # for 4 to 6 and maybe on in between.

4600's have the same valving but no provision for lift.

The 0 to 2 inch are identical to the stock shocks and the other are way too long of you are only levelled.  The 0 to 2 inch rating is crap as they still require shock spacers.

6 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

The 0 to 2 inch are identical to the stock shocks and the other are way too long of you are only levelled.  The 0 to 2 inch rating is crap as they still require shock spacers.

Have heard a couple of reports from the Z-71 Avalanche community that the 4600 front struts "may" be a little shorter than the stock Bisteins.

Can you confirm, or deny?

No idea.  Only ever played with the 5100's which are identical in length to the stock GM shocks even if they say they are good for up to a 2" lift.  I would imagine the 4600 is the same dimensions unless they are making shocks shorter than the original ones

Archived