Impact - Air or Cordless

Looking to purchase an impact for wheel removal and miscellaneous small car/truck projects. Any recommendations on air or cordless? Any brand recommendations? I like the idea of cordless because of the increased convenience.

My cordless works fine for what you describe. It's a lot easier to move around a vehicle without having to drag an air hose.

Edit: I got a deal on a cordless Ryobi 1/2 inch impact wrench that I couldn't pass up.

Cordless at home air at work for me.  No compressor at home.  I have a Mac Tools 1/2 inch and a 3/8 inch.  The Mac ones are made by Dewalt (Mac and Dewalt are under the Stanley/Black and Decker brand portfolio) and they take the Dewalt 20V batteries, so if you already have Dewalt 20V, you can just buy the tool body.  4.0aH or higher battery is recommended though for longer run time and better consistent power for the impact. 

At my brothers heavy equipment repair shop it’s mostly cordless. They have a charging station for all the batteries. I don’t know if the cam use them for the 3/4 driver, but I’ve seen them using them for the 1/2 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, 1fast ss said:

Looking to purchase an impact for wheel removal and miscellaneous small car/truck projects. Any recommendations on air or cordless? Any brand recommendations? I like the idea of cordless because of the increased convenience.

Hilti SIW-22T if you've got the $$ to fork over for it.  Our guys use these in the field for commercial construction. 

I'd go with Dewalt as well if you're looking for American made and cheaper.

I have two DeWalt impacts, a beast of a 1/2" drive and a 3/8" drive impact. Both use the old school 18v niCad batteries though. I have had the 18v DeWalt drill, 1/4" drive hex impact, and the 3/8" impact for a few years. I got a good deal on the 1/2" drive impact just over a year or so ago, probably since it's getting to be phased out by the 20v lithium battery operated tools now. Regardless, I'm happy with them. I haven't had anything under the hood that I have not been able to break loose with my 3/8" impact, and I use the 1/2" for lugnuts and suspension work. I used it on the frame crossmember under the engine when I changed my oil pan gasket earlier this year. 

12 hours ago, ScottyBoy said:

I have two DeWalt impacts, a beast of a 1/2" drive and a 3/8" drive impact. Both use the old school 18v niCad batteries though. I have had the 18v DeWalt drill, 1/4" drive hex impact, and the 3/8" impact for a few years. I got a good deal on the 1/2" drive impact just over a year or so ago, probably since it's getting to be phased out by the 20v lithium battery operated tools now. Regardless, I'm happy with them. I haven't had anything under the hood that I have not been able to break loose with my 3/8" impact, and I use the 1/2" for lugnuts and suspension work. I used it on the frame crossmember under the engine when I changed my oil pan gasket earlier this year. 

Thanks for the input.

I'm leaning towards DeWalt, but I really like the new CP. The drawback is the pricing on the CP. It is on the high side.

I have a 3/4 drive Milwaukee cordless that I use for changing the blades on my roadside mower. (my summer job)That thing is unbelievable the torque it has. It could be used for every thing. 

I have an 18v Dewalt, a corded electric, and several air impacts...the air will beat any electric, I have an older Mac that rated at 850ft-lb, the Dewalt is rated for like 250? Apples to oranges...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have the Milwaukee 1/2 inch drive I use to change tires on my vehicles and the torque on that thing is a monster will easily break lug nuts loose on a semi truck very happy with my purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived