Vibration Issue is BACK and WORSE after being fixed

Last year at this time, I got my torque converter replaced at around 12k miles because under light acceleration, the truck would vibrate at moderate to highway speeds.  After going through a couple of dealers, calling GM corporate, and being given the run around all over the place, they finally replaced my torque converter, and the problem was gone until today.

Today, I was driving, and noticed the vibration came back under the same circumstances as being, under light throttle.  I also noticed a new symptom: a shutter/vibration during upshifts.  While accelerating, when it goes to shift, it will do the vibration, and the shift takes a full second or two to shift into the next gear.  

As someone who has taken their truck in for a combined (roughly one full month) and been issued at least 6 loaners, I am once again debating to trade in/sell/ask for a buy back.  I want to love the truck.  I have a lot of money invested in aftermarket upgrades as well.  One of the issues I had regarding the vibration/warranty work has been the dealership saying my dual Borla exhaust is causing it, or saying my K&N cold air intake is messing with it as well.  Anyone with a decent understanding of automotive technology knows that they aren't causing the issue, but fortunately I got with one of the service techs who sided with me and agreed to replace it.  

I feel stuck.  If I trade it in, I'll most certainly spend more money on a new one (partly because I am considering a Denali this time) but also because mine was heavily discounted with offers when I purchased it.  The dealership wins.  If I get hosed around again by the dealers to remove my aftermarket parts before they will do warranty work, then I get screwed over in having to take everything back off, and put the factory stuff back on.  Its just been a total PITA.  Then if they say they can't replicate the issue, I lose again.  I did take a video of the dashboard during the vibrations this time.  I was going 52mph on a flat road (extremely slightly going uphill) and I had cruise control on.  The RPM's were bouncing up and down within a 200-300 RPM range.  During each vibration, the RPM's went up, and when it stopped, the RPM's went back down.

If anyone has had a similar experience with their 8 speed or the like, please leave some feedback.

Edited by DENALIHD66
  • Like 1

Mine had the shudder on shifts and intermittent on the highway, and they changed / flushed the fluid - and it's fixed for now anyway - but I didn't notice RPM going up and down.  There's a TSB on the fluid change and flush

• Like 1

As I type this, my 2017 LTZ Z71 6.2 is in the shop for the same thing. For the 6th time since I took delivery of it as a brand new truck with 6 miles on it in late August. 

I'm likely headed for the Lemon Law and an attempt at getting it exchanged or repurchased.  The dealership agrees there is an issue but they can't seem to fix it. 

• Like 1

I too tried this. GM has labeled it Fish Bite or Chuggle.  mine is all stock and i have been told it is 'Not that bad' and 'Designed to dive that way' as an official GM engineer answer.   Dealership is on my side but GM ties their hands. I am awaiting my tune file from Black bear Performance to see if it is the Engine/Transmission tuning that is the cause of all this as myself and the tech at the dealership think it is.  it is very disappointing that GM will not back their product and if they cant fix it they blame whatever they can or say it is normal!

• Like 1

Mine was just dropped off at the dealer today for the same thing. This is it's second trip for the same problem within a month. The first time it was in they did a reprogram of the computer. Seemed ok for a week and it started all over again. They told me today that they would keep it for several days to come up with a solution...didn't even want to hint this time what they would try.

2017 Max tow 6.2 8 speed. Mine is in shop for same concern 4 th time. Vibration is felt in steering wheel and gas pedal when accl. Have had 2 converters replaced and 3 fluid flushes.  Love the truck but they truly have a problem with the converters. Made worse when towing my 8000 trailer. Truck rated for over 11,000 so it’s not overloaded. 

To the op. Why would you want to trade the truck on another gm truck that if it doesn't vibrate when new could develope the same vibration later. Wait on the 2019 redesign to see if the problem is fixed. Or go with ford or toyota. Just my thinking.

• Like 3

When ever you change out factory items for aftermarket items like exhaust, level kit, intake, tune, etc. you are painting yourself into a corner when it comes to warranty work.  The items you modified probably are not what is causing your problems but GM says they can and it is up to you to prove they don't which is pretty much a losing battle.  If you mod under warranty then that is the chance you are taking plain and simple.  My truck has always had a small vibration at slight throttle and it was magnified when I put on a dynomax exhaust that has the built in flapper.  I promptly took it off and put the stock exhaust back on and problem went away.  If I got burned by a lemon truck from GM then there is no way I would go back for seconds, I would be looking at a different manufacturer.  

Consider yourself lucky, my warranty ran out last month on my '14 and the trans slams itself into 2nd and locks it in that gear when you slow down from highway speed. Also vibrates your teeth out on the highway. I can't wait until a deer walks out in front of me, I will make sure it is a write off. That may be your best option as well. 

22 hours ago, Srode1 said:

Mine had the shudder on shifts and intermittent on the highway, and they changed / flushed the fluid - and it's fixed for now anyway - but I didn't notice RPM going up and down.  There's a TSB on the fluid change and flush

Got a triple tranny flush today and they put a new type of fluid in it.  I drove it home and around a bit, and it was back to smooth shifting.  The shifting is still garbage in the truck overall (needs tuned) but at least it was bearable again.

20 hours ago, Bigmac said:

2017 Max tow 6.2 8 speed. Mine is in shop for same concern 4 th time. Vibration is felt in steering wheel and gas pedal when accl. Have had 2 converters replaced and 3 fluid flushes.  Love the truck but they truly have a problem with the converters. Made worse when towing my 8000 trailer. Truck rated for over 11,000 so it’s not overloaded. 

Mine is also the 6.2/8speed/Max Trailer.  

17 hours ago, southern_sierra said:

To the op. Why would you want to trade the truck on another gm truck that if it doesn't vibrate when new could develope the same vibration later. Wait on the 2019 redesign to see if the problem is fixed. Or go with ford or toyota. Just my thinking.

I really don't want to yet.  I want to wait for 2019 year to buy a 2020 model that has been in cycle for a full year.  I'd rather die than buy a toyota.  The new Ford trucks have insanely too much technology and are overpriced too.  They don't even have a range topping V8 engine which is weak.

11 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

Being a '15 I would flush the trans and do a tune if it were mine.

I just traded my '17 6.2 8spd on an '18 diesel Denali

I was planning on getting a Blackbear tune on mine to fix it.  Seems the way it shifts now just eats up the torque converter and any internal components because of the amount of lash in the driveline.  It upshifts so quickly under load that the torque converter probably can't handle the constant load/unloading.  

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, USAFRET said:

Mine was just dropped off at the dealer today for the same thing. This is it's second trip for the same problem within a month. The first time it was in they did a reprogram of the computer. Seemed ok for a week and it started all over again. They told me today that they would keep it for several days to come up with a solution...didn't even want to hint this time what they would try.

Got my truck back tonight. They did a triple fluid flush and said this should fix the problem. Still not very optimistic. They also put on the paperwork to drive 2 cold to hot cycles and at least 200 miles and then reevaluate to see if problem was fixed. Shouldn't they have done this before they gave me the truck back?

• Like 1

Same here FRET.  After my torque converter was replaced and fluid flushed service advisor told me to drive truck at least 200 miles before making any judgement.   Happy to report after nearly 10 months and 6500 miles no issues. 

OP I feel your pain regarding your mods and dealer blaming them for your issue(s).  Chevrolet dealer was blaming excessive regens on my 11 LML Duramax on oversized tires.  I pointed out that they should remove the very same tires from new trucks they were selling.  Needless to say my issue was resolved but now I hesitate to tune, add cold air intake or put larger than 33 inch tires on.  Do have a Magnaflow 12909 muffler but that hasn't seemed to warrant much attention.  GMC dealer has been much better at getting on top of warranty concerns.  YMMV