2017 1500 outside plastic melting

I am a 2017 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4.  the last two weeks I have seen spots that appear to be melting only on the outside plastic parts.  it started on the bedcap rails, then the steps and now the mirror.  I live in a secure neighborhood, so no vandalism,  wash it with mild car soap, no other explanation.  The spots seem to grow bigger as the days go on.  thoughts?

20171107_102012.jpg

1 hour ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

The sun's rays reflecting off mirrors, windows or other reflective surfaces can amplfy the intensity, therefore damaging parts that can melt.

that's what I was going to say. do you park near some south facing windows at work?

1 hour ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

The sun's rays reflecting off mirrors, windows or other reflective surfaces can amplfy the intensity, therefore damaging parts that can melt.

GM Customer Care would love to have you as a team member representative.  You've got a conclusive explanation for everything.

1 hour ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

GM Customer Care would love to have you as a team member representative.  You've got a conclusive explanation for everything.

In my 40 years of driving /owning cars, I've never heard that one before.. Reflective rays are melting parts of the truck? If that's the case, the plastic being used is unfit for vehicle application. 

Seriously, that is weird. It almost looks like something got on there from someone's hand or something. I'm wondering if a mechanic had something on his hands and touched the rail. Has it been anywhere for service?

11 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

In my 40 years of driving /owning cars, I've never heard that one before.. Reflective rays are melting parts of the truck? If that's the case, the plastic being used is unfit for vehicle application. 

Seriously, that is weird. It almost looks like something got on there from someone's hand or something. I'm wondering if a mechanic had something on his hands and touched the rail. Has it been anywhere for service?

Live in Phoenix?  Well yeah, reflections certainly can and do damage plastic components on vehicles all the time even rubber......Had a work truck blow the tire out as it was setting on job site in exact position to have some reflective materials burn a hole in sidewall? 

Kid I worked with had his whole side of the Saturn melt on window moldings from setting in PHX sun? 

1 hour ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

More than you have to offer. You bring nothing to any conversation but B.S. and lies.

Going forward, I encourage you to place me on your ignore list. I have done the same for you.. This place is getting ridiculous for trolls and morons.

23 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Live in Phoenix?  Well yeah, reflections certainly can and do damage plastic components on vehicles all the time even rubber......Had a work truck blow the tire out as it was setting on job site in exact position to have some reflective materials burn a hole in sidewall? 

Kid I worked with had his whole side of the Saturn melt on window moldings from setting in PHX sun? 

Good points I guess.. Never had that problem in New England. I'd like to hear from the OP where this truck is located. The pic appears to be almost a contact melt. Like something got on there, no?

Could be vandalism, lasers powerful enough to melt that plastic are now commercially available.

Live near any airbases or defense contractor facilities? Could be flying something around and tagging your vehicle with a targeting laser and holding it there while they practice and test.

Wouldnt be the first time a oopsie ever happened. Your eyes cant see some of the visible sprectrums of the lasers they are using.....but your cellphone or a video surveillance camera might pick up the beam.

Put the truck under surveillance. Video evidence and you'd have a story....

I live in the deep south and I have heard of this in some very hot summers case in point my motorcycle was left out over a 3 day span and my side mirrors were deformed as well as the kick stand had sunk into the asphalt. I have never seen it first hand on a car just my bike and this being November that is really weird. 

• 2 months later...

Looks like nail polish remover damage. Does not take much to deform plastic. Somebody probably had the container of nail polish remover sitting on your trucks bed rail and spilled the chit...................................   

Archived